Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing Norton Antivirus after add/remove program

• Please log in to reply

stallionsims

stallionsims

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi all,
These are the removal instructions of Norton Antivrus Versions from the Windows OS after the add/remove programs doesn't work.

Removal of NAV using Rnav2003.exe
Applicable Nav versions:2000,2001,2002,2003

step1:
download the Rnav2003.exe from the following Symantec FTP link and save it on to the desktop.
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/nav/Rnav2003.exe

step2:
please take a backup of the Windows Registry.If you want to know how to take a backup of the win registy,please clcik on the link below
http://service1.syma...src=bar_sch_nam

step3:
once the registry backup is made,double-click on the Rnav2003.exe file.
it will prompt you to try removing it from add/remove first.click No for that.
select the version of NAV you want to remove.then continue with the on screen instructions.
please don't restart your system.You can do that after some more tasks.
*If you want to know more about using Rnav2003.exe you can click the following link.there it will be explained with Screenshots.
http://service1.syma...h_nam#_Section1

Step4:
you need to delete the entire contents of the following Windows folders.
C:\Windows\Temp
easy way to get on to this folder
Start\Run\temp
click edit.select all.use shift+delete for deleting the contents
C:\Doc and settings\username\localsettings\temp
easy way to get on to this folder
Start\Run\%temp%
click edit.select all.use shift+delete for deleting the contents
sometimes if the files are in use,You will not be able to delete them in normal mode.you need to get on to safe mode and delete them.
please click on the following link to know more about getting on to safe mode for respective OSes.
http://service1.syma...src=sec_doc_nam
you can also use this tool CCleaner which can be downloaded from the following link for completing the deletion tasks.it's a freeware program.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
you can also use Microsoft's Disk Cleanup which can be found at
start\programs\accessories\systemtools\disk cleanup

step5:
restart the computer.NAV is gone.You can reinstall it again.

p.s.:for the versions of NAV2004,NAV2005 you can use the symnrt.exe tool which can be downloaded from the Symantec FTP link
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_...sgen/SymNRT.exe
*please follow the same procedure given above for versions 2004,2005 after you use the tool.MAKE SURE that REGISTRY BACKUP is done.

java script:emoticon(':tazz:')
smilie

this has worked a lot of times in my cases.Hope someone benefits from this post.
Please post any valuable suggestions or any mistakes you find so that I can rectify them.

java script:emoticon(';)')
smilie
Stallion

Advertisements

kp_sidekick

kp_sidekick

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Still hasn't worked for me. I've tried all that you specified. I even took it a step further and started to hack away at the registry myself :) looking for any signs of Symantec or Norton keywords! (I backed it up before attempting this.)

It's funny how the system use to have Norton Antivirus 2005... and it ran well. Then a few days ago it stopped updating/refreshing which through me into this whirlwind of troubles. The disc is in perfect condition and the system is as clean as a whistle. Why won't it install??? :tazz:

I have a DELL Dimension 4700, Intel 3.0GHz (HT), WINXP Pro (SP2), 1 GB RAM, 160GB SATA HDD.

If anyone has any other ideas to get this fixed, post it here!

stallionsims

stallionsims

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
hi sidekick,
Please be a bit clear on your problem.Do you face problems in installing the product or uninstalling it.
FYI
the Norton Antivirus folders in XP OS are as follows,
C:\Program files\NAV
C:\Program files\Symantec
C:\Program files\Common files\Symantec Shared
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application data\Symantec*
Try deleting these and do a fresh installation.
*-Application data folder is a hidden folder.you need to show the hidden files and folders in windows folder options to view and delete it.

Post again if you have queries
:tazz:

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
I think this is a simpler way: http://www.geekstogo...are-t43188.html

kp_sidekick

kp_sidekick

• Pip
  • 2 posts

hi sidekick,
Please be a bit clear on your problem.Do you face problems in installing the product or uninstalling it.
FYI
the Norton Antivirus folders in XP OS are as follows,
C:\Program files\NAV
C:\Program files\Symantec
C:\Program files\Common files\Symantec Shared
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application data\Symantec*
Try deleting these and do a fresh installation.
*-Application data folder is a hidden folder.you need to show the hidden files and folders in windows folder options to view and delete it.

Post again if you have queries
:tazz:

View Post

Oh, the system is clean of all the Norton/Symantec Antivirus files, folders, and registry crud. The problem that I keep facing is while reinstalling it on the system it hits this one registry and bombs... the very same file, everytime! This is what it says: "Norton Antivirus 2005 installation has failed. Do you want to try to install again?" [The file it hangs up on is "RB_versionControl.BC731320_557D_4E8F_8CED_C..."] Any clues why?