Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair Install Problems

• Please log in to reply

everlong1116

everlong1116

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I had a problem with my computer because of a Windows update, which I solved by deleting SP2 using the recovery console, but that left some problems on my computer. So I went to a forum that usually gives me good results (http://www.aoaforums...alling-sp2.html), but someone there suggested I use a repair install because I noticed that my processor and BIOS drivers needed updating. It sounded like a good idea, but when I did it, it gave me an error message that said:
Error:
Setup had problems registering the following OLE control DLL:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\initpki.dll

Contact your system administrator, who may provide assistance in diagnosing this problem.

Error:

The signature for Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade is invalid. The error code is 426.

The service has not been started.

Fatal Error:

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

(The same thing is repeated 2 more times.)

He gave me a solution, but 1 it seemed too complicated for me to figure out and 2 I don't think it has anything to do with my problem.

Now I can't get past the installation process when I go on the computer. Please keep in mind that I have important files on the computer that I would like to be saved so I'm hoping there is a solution that will save these files. If putting my hard drive into another computer as a secondary hard drive is the best way for me to go please say so.
Thank you.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi everlong1116...

A parallel installation might be the ticket to get you running again AND save your data. You would install XP on the same partition, but in a different folder. Once installed, you'll be able to recover the data from the old install and then remove it.

Sound like what you're after?

wannabe1

everlong1116

everlong1116

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sounds good to me. Could you explain (in detail) how I would go about doing that? I'm not exactly what you'd call an expert with computers, but I probably know more than most people.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm assuming you do not have SP2 on the install disk. It will make a difference in my instructions, so is my assumption correct?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's do it to it.

Boot to the cd...we'll start just like we're doing an install.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter

Accept the Licensing Agreement, press F8

Your current installation will be located. With it selected, press Esc

Select the same partition as your current installation (usually C:) and press Enter

It will ask you to confirm that you know what you're doing, press C

You will then be given formatting information. Use the arrow keys to select the last option "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)" and press Enter

Windows will tell you the directory already exists and give you the option to select another. Press Esc

Now you can rename the directory you want to install to. Type a 0 (zero) so the directory name will be WINDOWS0 and press Enter

Setup should begin to install Windows. When it reboots, do NOT boot to the cd...let it boot to the HDD, but leave the cd in the drive.

Windows will install on the machine to the new directory. Change the user name slightly on this install to avoid data corruption when we copy it across.

Let me know when this completes and we'll recover your data.

Edited by wannabe1, 22 December 2006 - 10:37 PM.

everlong1116

everlong1116

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes your assumption is correct and I'm currently installing Windows using the guidelines you gave me so I'll be ready for the next step soon.

everlong1116

everlong1116

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Also, I had multiple accounts on my computer. Does this have an affect on anything? Do I need to make multiple accounts for the new directory I created? And some accounts have passwords, will this cause a problem?

Edited by everlong1116, 23 December 2006 - 09:46 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll only need the one account on the new install, but we'll need to set up separate folders for the data we recover from each of the old user accounts. We'll burn that bridge when we get to it. I don't think the passwords will have much effect once you take ownership of the files. It would be nice to have the passwords, though...just in case. :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 23 December 2006 - 09:51 AM.

everlong1116

everlong1116

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay, I believe I found the way to transfer the files, but access is denied to me from my sister's files, which are the important ones. We both had passwords, but mine is accessible and hers isn't. Any solutions?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll need to Take Ownership of those files and folders that give you an access denied message. This will have to be done from Safe Mode.

Advertisements

everlong1116

everlong1116

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay, done. Now do I just make a new folder and transfer whatever I want into that folder? Also, how do I get rid of the other directory? Also, if it is possible, can you tell me how to transfer programs?

Edited by everlong1116, 23 December 2006 - 10:35 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The programs will have to be reinstalled in order to be written to the new registry.

I would create a new folder for each of the old user accounts in the root directory (C:) so that they'll be easily accessible by each user to move to their new account.

Getting rid of the old installation is relatively simple, but we'll need to edit the boot.ini file, too. Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the new window, click on the "Edit" button. I notepad window will open (boot.ini)...copy the contents of the window and paste it here for me.

Once I have that, we'll get about removing the old install.

everlong1116

everlong1116

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I need to type this all because I'm not connected to the internet on that computer at the moment so I might make a mistake. Tell me if you see anything funny.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open My Computer and double click on the "Local Disk C:" icon. You should see two Windows folders (Windows and Windows0). Right click on Windows (Not Windows0), choose "Delete" and accept the deletion.

Remove the line of text shown in red below. Click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save". Close the notepad window (boot.ini).

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Close all open windows and reboot. It should boot directly to the new installation and you will have regained the space previously occupied by the original install.

How is the machine running?

everlong1116

everlong1116

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I tried deleting the WINDOWS folder but it said that access is denied to delete one of the files. What should I do? Also, could you advise me on how to reinstall all of my drivers? I tried putting in all the CDs with drivers on them, but I cant find the audio driver. I dunno which other drivers are missing either. Are there any that you know I will need after reinstalling Windows?

"Cannot delete Flash9.ocx: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

Edited by everlong1116, 23 December 2006 - 07:16 PM.