Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repeated Disconnects

• Please log in to reply

sdeg01

sdeg01

• Pip
  • 6 posts
First time I have posted here. I have used the website before to fix other problems.

My problem is that I get disconnected from the internet after like a half hour to an hour of being on it. When it goes out there is two ways it comes back. I can either wait for 5-10 minutes or hit the little button on my router. If I hit the button it comes back right away. The connection goes out on all the computers on my network.

I think the router might be bad. But that is just me. If there is anything you can do to help that would be great.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
What is the make and model of your router?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

sdeg01

sdeg01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a netgear wireless router model is MR814 the first version.

I have tried upgrading the firmware and that didn't work. I might have done this wrong tough.

Also no computers on network use the wireless aspect of the router. I got the router free from someone.

Sorry about the duplicate post.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

Sorry about the duplicate post.

It's cool ;)

Have you tried resetting it? Turn everything off except the router. Now somewhere on the router will be a small little hole with a button inside that you can press with a sharp pencil or a paperclip that you straighten out. Hold that button in for awhile and watch the lights on the router, they will go through a series of flashing and stuff. Wait until all activity has ceased with the lights and then turn everything back on.

sdeg01

sdeg01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Would I turn off the cable box also?

I will try this later today because I am not at my house right now.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well with some modems you have to reset them also when you reset a router, but reset the router 1st. Then while everything is still off unplug the power to the modem for a couple of minutes and plug it back in. When the lights are done flashing and doing their thing then turn everything on.

sdeg01

sdeg01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok so I resetted my router and it did the same thing. Works for a while then goes out for a few minutes than comes back on.

Do you think that my router is bad. Or should I turn of windows firewall. Should I update the firmware again.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I don't really have any other ideas besides maybe testing the router with another computer, maybe it's your pc, or the network card, swap that out for testing reasons. I am not the best with disconnecting routers though, I know there has to be some other things to try. Maybe your network cable too. We must narrow it down to what it is, it may not be the router.

sdeg01

sdeg01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am going to test to see if it happens when using the other computers. I am trying to borrow another router and test that. I am also going to get another NIC. Hopefully one of things fixes it.