Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore To Factory Settings

• Please log in to reply

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
:tazz: ok i bought my computer from a little company but now its all messed up and could do with being restored but i did not get any disks what should i do?

I forgot to say that the company has closed down!

Edited by customcomp, 07 August 2005 - 06:39 AM.

Advertisements

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Welcome to G2G:

Since you don't have a Windows Disc you only have 2 options:

1. Buy a new Windows CD.
2. Restore your computer to an earlier state using System Restore.

System Restore can take you back to the beginning, but some malware/viruses may still be left on the computer.

If you really want to start from scratch, you will need to buy a new Windows. :tazz:

Edited by LIONWOODS, 07 August 2005 - 08:20 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

System Restore won't take you back to the beginning, but it may get you back to the earliest Restore Point on the computer..

Your best option is the one already mentioned: Buy your own version and go from there!!

Murray

customcomp

customcomp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
thank for the advice im going to buy a new windows soon, but when i unistall window and reinstal it will i have to sort the drivers out as well? :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

thank for the advice im going to buy a new windows soon, but when i unistall window and reinstal it will i have to sort the drivers out as well? :tazz:

View Post

Yes you will. Something you can do now is go to Device Manager and expand all the devices and write down all the part numbers so that when you look for the drivers you will have a complete listing. This will save you a great deal of trouble.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont need to buy a new windows liscense by the way. Just get a installation disc which isnt illegal to download from anywhere as long as you allready have a liscence and key. Which since you bought the pc it should have on a sticker somewhere and if it doesnt the copy is illegal and you are entitled to a discounted/free copy from microsoft you just need to give them the name of the company you bought it from and since they are closed down it wont really matter.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Which since you bought the pc it should have on a sticker somewhere and if it doesnt the copy is illegal

View Post

Sorry, but that alone doesn't mean the install is illegal.. Have you ever tried to re-install an HP system using the Key Code on the case?? It won't work as they use a different type of install.. The key code on the case is just that system's license and NOT the key code used to install XP !!

Some companies don't put that on but may put the install program and key code on a separate hidden partition on the hdd!!

Murray

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hmm never seen a pc like that without the code on the liscense sticker, but then again ive never used or worked on a hp computer so. The point stands though he doesnt need to go out and buy a whole new copy of windows which isnt a cheap bit of software.

customcomp

customcomp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
sorry for being and idiot but how do i go about installing these drivers?? ;)

thanx for all the help by the way :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Warriorscot: You are right there, he doesn't.. But they would be better served using retail cd or OEM cd they borrowed and using their Key Code to install it.. Safer and smarter than downloading a "pirated" version which is what they would be doing!!

Have you re-installed XP yet?? XP has a vast majority of them in it's setup files and will install them on its own..

Murray

Advertisements

customcomp

customcomp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
no not yet i was wating to see the reply, is there any divers that i should worry about :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Let's see.. Sound card, Video Card, NIC would be the biggies here!!

Murray

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Howdy:

System Restore won't take you back to the beginning, but it may get you back to the earliest Restore Point on the computer..

Your best option is the one already mentioned: Buy your own version and go from there!!

Murray

View Post

Hi.

I was told that system restore restores all your settings to a selected restore point. Usually when you install windows, the computer creates a restore point. (Mine did at least). So, technically, this is the "beginning".? Isn't it? :tazz:

Edited by LIONWOODS, 09 August 2005 - 11:49 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Lionwoods:

Totally depends on your System Restore settings.. Mine are set so that it only keeps about the last 5 Restore Points..

Murray

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Lionwoods:

Totally depends on your System Restore settings..  Mine are set so that it only keeps about the last 5 Restore Points..

Murray

View Post

Oh, now I get it. I'll keep that in mind, thanks. :tazz: