Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seeking Computer, Non START-UP help. ASAP

• Please log in to reply

GEEKALOT

GEEKALOT

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
My computer make is DELL, though it is also Windows XP. And while having had previously attempted to turn it on to start up for it to go directly upon the login user-names as it may usually tend to, instead a BLUE screen came up reading, as i quote;

A problem has been detected and windows had been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

"If this is the first time you've seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check to make sure any new hardware of software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced options, and then select safe mode."

|Though when it had having had suggested maybe re-starting and selecting safe mode, when having had done that, it didnt seem to at all work and would go right back to that Blue screen once having had been selected. I had also tried to select the "Last known good configuration", though it doesn't seem as though that has helped either.

DELL had been contacted to notify them of the issue, though they had charged me, to direct me over the phone on how to run a few computer tests & from what they had directed me to test it appeared as though there was a tick upon many things tested. Though the person had also said the system is corrupted and may need a reboot, but to be honest, the person was only really interested in getting a sell over the telephone.. other than actually helping. And i remember this particular thing happening last year & though they said the same thing, i remember not bothering with them & trying to fix the computer myself & had done something that had enabled it to start as usual. Though i cant quite remember what that was.

Also this seems to happen when i keep turning of the computer on the hard-drive, other than manually & properly... i don't mean to in order for this to happen. Its just it happens to be quite a habit & at times i may be doing something that i don't particularly want anybody to see as it is personal, so when anybody does happen to come in the room[as it is a family computer].. other than me quickly switching off the screen.. because they'll still know its on... i just press the hard-drive button until it goes off.

What does anybody suggest i do?
Anything at all that you may be able to direct me with?

Please if you can, could you direct me to do something that enables a repair, "WITHOUT" having to loose any data. I KNOW I CAN DO THIS.

Thank you, I would very much appreciate it = ]

Edited by GEEKALOT, 04 September 2009 - 08:37 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Your other posts got closed because you posted multiple times. One post is enough.

First off....Shutting the computer off by using the power button will most definately create problems. The computer needs to shut down properly to close the running programs and processes. Stopping them in the middle will create many issues that will not be recoverable. You will do damage to the files that the OS requires to run properly.

TRY THIS

GEEKALOT

GEEKALOT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
By proceeding with this use of action, does that mean my files will "have to, have to" be deleted?

or does it depend upon how corrupted it may be?

like i said...i remember this happening. And not having to deleted any files!

also...hey thanks... really appreciate your response

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
The process repairs the operating system files and then allows you to fix the boot sector.

It will not effect your data files if that is what you are asking.
This is the 1st step in the process of getting the computer to boot.
It may not be the resolution, but we have to start somewhere.

GEEKALOT

GEEKALOT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Oh Ok, great... what a relief .

the reason i asked if it will have any negative affect on data, is because of the CAUTION message that comes up...even though the instructions say to choose YES to all scary warnings... i just have to make sure.

it seems as though everything is going as the instructions read it would...

i just wanted to ask before i proceed with writing YES....

thanks so much.
Yes, we do have to start somewhere.

What a help you are..

p.s.. i know you said it wouldnt cause any damage to data... though when seeing your response to this message, ill proceed with typing Y.. on the FIXMBR part.. & do the other steps.. .... just feels better that way..
:)

ahh i gather now that "boot" or "reboot" doesnt always have to mean that the systems changes to how it was when having had first come out of the factory...

just can mean that it "fixes" the problem or issue

learnt something new..

Edited by GEEKALOT, 05 September 2009 - 05:22 PM.

GEEKALOT

GEEKALOT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I tried it.. and you know what?

It worked... all of the files appear safe & working.

Much appreciation & thanks for your help.
From MYSELF & FAMILY.

You really have made us happy & helped save us money that we really didn't have to spend

:)

Edited by GEEKALOT, 05 September 2009 - 06:11 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Glad to see that that helped you out.
As an extra precaution, you need to stop shutting the computer down that way. (unless there is no other option, which will happen sometimes)

GEEKALOT

GEEKALOT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sure ok ok, i comprehend with that DAD. :) HAHA!
Certainly no intentions to do that any time soon.

Thanks Again! :)

Sure it isnt really necessarily unless actually needed, keeping that precaution in mind.

Edited by GEEKALOT, 06 September 2009 - 06:22 AM.

GEEKALOT

GEEKALOT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey, Is it ok to login upon the pc with safe mode: Networking, often?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Thats not a problem. Just be aware that it loads minimal drivers.
There will also be some programs you won't be able to access either.

Advertisements

GEEKALOT

GEEKALOT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
oh yhh im know that...certain things wont be opened just as certain things wont be heard upon the pc.

Do you have any knowledge upon programmes being downloaded upon the pc & there way of works?... Such as "Bear Share" for example..

If not, do you know anybody who might?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
GTG does not assist in issues with P2P problems except for the removal of the programs pursuant to the Terms Of Use.

GEEKALOT

GEEKALOT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK Ok great , though to "123runner"... yesterday something had occured in the background ...& there was a bit of a panic & the computer was turnt off by the hard-drive but that was when it was logged onto safe mode-networking, it wasnt meant in a way to damage anything upon the pc... though i think that day the computer kept freezing also, and after that it was then turnt off again i think from the harddrive as it froze on someones user name... which wasnt on safe mode then...

should that thing be done to the pc again with the command screen just to be on the safe side? or do you think the pc will be ok ?

and does it make much of or any difference when being on safe mode?
thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If I could add something here Geeksalot
Safe Mode is meant as a diagnostic mode for technicians to find problems and hopefully correct them.
Running in safe mode will usually not allow your Anti Virus to run.
This can open your system up for infection and possible loss of data.
If the system is running in normal mode and running correctly then I would suggest to use it.
If there are more issues with running it in Normal Mode please let us know so we can assist in correcting these problems for you.
It is never a good ideal to run a system constantly in Safe Mode for the reasons I stated above and continuing to do so will subject you to serious problems in the future.

GEEKALOT

GEEKALOT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
aw thanks! your soo helpful

computer got turnt off again with the hard-drive upon a login mode on the normal system login

& twice again upon the safe mode login with networking

hey, what about my safe mode & other querys before in reference to turning it off by the harddrive?... could you read above & help pleease? = ]

just a Bad! happen thats got to be put at mends...as most of the moments this happens is because someone certain is comming in the room

so its turnt off by the hard-drive to not cause any confrontations ...its complicated.. but its not that anything bads being done...its just how others may interfere.... long story...

but yuh..ive been going on safe mode, networking recenetly because its fast & loggs off fast.. so maybe i wouldnt have to switch off the hardrive as much

should i do that command screen thing again like before just to be on the safe side...because the computers been turnt off by the harddrive a few times after i did that thing to get it working again? (the command screen code enters to get it back & working again with full data shown)....

so is it a matter of cutting out the bad habbits would you say?

along with not being advised to log on upon safe mode networking anymore?

hey also, when you get this well if you get this... rshaffer61, could you read through these comments if you dont mind, just to get a drift of whats been occuring with the pc... is that ok?

so then if 123runner doesnt responde for now, then you can understand fully just as well ..

Thanks Budd! :) :)