Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shut Down Problems

• Please log in to reply

Pelley

Pelley

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Can someone tell me why Windows XP will not shut down and what can I do to fix this?

I have a Acer Aspire 3100. Just formatted the hard drive. I have all my hardware and drivers installed and working fine. My only problem now is that Windows XP will not shut down. I shut the ystem down the proper way and nothing happens. The only way is to hold in on the power button.

Please help me
Thanks so much in advance for your help

Michelle

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Hi Pelly and Welcome! to Geeks-to-Go.

If you find that you simply must hold down the power button to shutdown the computer, please use the "Last Known Good Configuration" option from the F8 screen for the very next boot.

Improper shutdown can result in corruption of XP's proper function.
"Last known Good..." returns the system to its prior (undamaged) state.

Shutdown issues can be widely various. Here is a link to a 'Shutdown Troubleshooting Guide':
http://www.aumha.org.../a/shtdwnxp.php

One of the primary reasons for a severely long shutdown is having the system clear the page file at shutdown.
To check, open Regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

In the right hand panel there may be an entry called "ClearPageFileAtShutdown"
If the value is '1' the page file is being cleared. If it is '0' (zero), it is not.

As a workaround to the entire situation, I suggest simply creating a new shortcut for shutdown.
Right click an open space of ther Desktop and select New> Shortcut.

In the box that says "Type the location...." paste this:
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00

If it works for you, add it to the Quick Launch bar to provide a one-click shutdown button.
(I used the red "off' icon for the shortcut.)

Let us know how it works, OK?