Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Startup + Other Problems

• Please log in to reply

Consequence

Consequence

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Helloooo. I have a problem with my computer, a week ago or just about I was watching stuff on youtube, then I went to go stretch out my legs and I kicked my power plug which is connected to my computer+ monitor. Now everything is not working so well like it used to. Youtube takes a while to load stuff then usual. When I start up my computer it counts down to pick between windows xp, and 2000, then windows xp loads then it goes into a black screen for a good 2-5 minutes. Then after the black screen I get another black screen but it has my mouse on there, then I get the login screen and I can go from there. Everything dosnt seem to be working so well like it should. My firefox takes a while to load stuff, and as embarrassing as it might sound runescape isnt even working for me. I choose the detail, pick a world, then I get a white screen from there. And between choosing to play, the detail, and picking the world, it takes a while to load, and on the top it will say firefox is not responding then everything will load up. I have the same problem on internet explorer. Everything is updated, and Ive tried a system restore from a month ago. Not to mention a defragment in safemode on both of my drivers and, ran regcure, Ad-Aware, and spybot search and destroy.

If you guys have any suggestions or can tell me what might be wrong with my computer id greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
try doing a chkdsk /r
From start button
open my computer
right click on C:drive
select properties
tools tab
press check now
check mark both boxes
press start
just retsart your computer
chkdsk repair will run

takes about 1.5Hrs to 2 Hrs
maybe more depending on the drive

Edited by Mr Freeze, 01 May 2008 - 03:45 PM.

Consequence

Consequence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
tried that on both harddrives no luck.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try a System Restore to a day or two before this happened, see if that helps.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
you could try memtest

http://www.snapfiles...et/memtest.html

or unplug your computer and physical remove the ram

then reseat them back but wait a few minutes

i do that to my vista it doesnt boot unless i remove the RAM

Consequence

Consequence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Tried both the system restore, and the memtest, i did the memtest for a good 2-3 hours, but I havnt tried removing my ram. Do you have any other suggestions other then removing my ram and putting it back in?

bmc2k7

bmc2k7

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sometimes if you just run fixboot and fixmbr that speeds up loading and fixes some errors you don't necessarily notice. I know it's kind of a weird solution, but it has worked for me more than once.

Consequence

Consequence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Do you know how i run the fixboot and fixmbr??

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
They are run from the Recovery Console which you get to by booting your XP CD. Since you are not having problems booting XP, I would recommend not running fixboot or fixmbr. That is not going to fix the performance problems you're having.

Check the Event Viewer and see if any errors are being logged.

Click Start then Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter or click OK

Look in all three categories listed on the left. Double click on any error to look at the details. Use the arrows to move up and down in the events listed.

Consequence

Consequence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I had a couple of errors, warnings, and failures on the event viewer i uploaded them for you to look at.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I see you are running Windows Defender. Please uninstall it then reboot and see if that makes any difference. You can always reinstall it later if you want.

What antivirus and firewall software are you using? Is Windows Firewall enabled or disabled (Access from Control Panel).

Consequence

Consequence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
My firewall is off, and it wont let me turn it on for some reason, and I did have mcafee but I uninstalled it because it really got annoying, I will uninstall windows defender now.

Consequence

Consequence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Just removed windows defender, and restarted and no luck with that either.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How does it run if you boot to Safe Mode, better or the same?

Since this all started with the power drop, perhaps there is a corrupted driver. Look in Device Manager, are there any yellow or red marks?

Do you have a Windows XP install disc? If so, you could also try running the System File Checker.

Click on Start then Run, type sfc /scannow and press Enter pr click GO.

If none of this helps, please run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here: PCPitstop Full Tests

Note: Vista users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"

If you haven't already registered, Click - Sign up now! (left hand column in User Login)
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Note: Vista users, please close your instance of IE "Running as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product advertisements for utilities that "could" remedy the OP's problem.

Since G2G is a "free-help" forum, we do not recommend or endorse purchase of automated utilities, and will assist you in manually correcting any problems and settings necessary to optimize your machine's performance. Ask your questions here. We'll help you walk through any necessary steps.

Also, any personal information in the report is masked when anyone other than yourself looks at it.

Consequence

Consequence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hey I ran the pcpitstop test and here were my results: http://pcpitstop.com...?conid=20239805

I noticed that when I went on IE8/7 It was super laggy, and would take a long time to load pages, but firefox ran no problem. But newho about the device manager, I didnt know how to get there, and the safemode did run a faster then the normal boot up if you take away all of the list of files that show up on the screen before you can login. And I didnt have the Windows XP CD so no luck on the scan.

Edited by Consequence, 04 May 2008 - 07:59 AM.