Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Driver Problems

• Please log in to reply

justjohn86

justjohn86

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi. I posted this in 'operating systems', but I think it should be in here... not sure. Anyway, my PCs stereo sound has been sounding out of balance for a while now but whenever I try to update or uninstall my sound driver the "microsoft management console" encounters an error and needs to close. It's a vinyl AC'97 codec combo driver, running on XP SP2. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the error signature:

EventType : BEX P1 : mmc.exe P2 : 5.1.2600.2180 P3 : 41107b0f
P4 : setupapi.dll P5 : 5.1.2600.2180 P6 : 411096b0 P7 : 0004644e
P8 : c0000409 P9 : 00000000

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

justjohn86

justjohn86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Any help? Please?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well first, the event you are having is the microsoft management console.exe file which is causing the program to close. You are not even getting to the place where you can install any drivers. I have not heard of a VINAL ac97 codec. What type of computer is this? is your sound card built in the motherboard? Did you recieve a recovery Cd with your computer? Please give some specifications on the computer if possible.

You say you are going into management console? Are you clicking Start> Control Panel>Sounds, Speech, and Audio devices>Sounds and audio devices. There you should be able to get to the drivers window and click update the drivers. You may not be able to get there because of the setupapi.dll which is part of your error message.

Did you know that setupapi.dll is a library which installers and setup applications use to install programs.

You may have to do a repair install on your computer with a windows XP cd.

SRX660

justjohn86

justjohn86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yes I have a recovery cd. It's a 'Time' computer (pretty crap), running AMD Athlon XP 2700+, 2.16GHz, 192mb ram. My sound driver is not great but it's worked just fine before, and yeah i'm pretty sure it's built in.

I've been using the device manager, not control panel, but windows update messes up too when I try to update.

Will I lose information fixing it through recovery?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I was hoping that you had a Microsoft XP cd instead of a manufacturers recovery cd. With a recovery CD you will lose all information you have put on the computer. What they do is set the computer right back to what itt was like when you bought the computer.

If you could borrow a Windows XP regular CD you could do a repair install to your computer. At least then you might be able to update the computer drivers.
With a "Repair Install" using a regular windows XP CD you can repair the operating system without losing any data on the computer. This was what i was going to try doing.

What happens when you try my method to get to your sound card? I see that timeUK computers website does not even carry any support for anything, too bad. If you can look at the motherboard we may be able to find what sound is on the computer. I need a make and model if you can find them.

SRX660

justjohn86

justjohn86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
When I do it through control panel I get the error message:

"'Run a DLL as an App' has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I get this both when I try to view properties and troubleshoot the device. All other sound and video devices function properly.

In the chipset peripherals settings it says it's a VIA-3058 AC97.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Theres so many different motherboards with VIA chipsets that i need the make and model of the motherboard.

SRX660

justjohn86

justjohn86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
This is what I got from a mobo id program, hope it makes sense:

Manufacturer: First International Computer, Inc.
Product Name: AM39L
Version: PCB 0.x

Is that what you were looking for or do I need to look at the board itself? Not really done anything with motherboards before... sorry.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I was not able to find audio drivers from the FIC website. I did find some at the VIA website. You can try these but there is no guarantee they will work.

http://www.viaarena....mp;SubCatID=104

SRX660

justjohn86

justjohn86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
When I run Setup, it gets to the beginning of the installation then InstallDriver Module needs to close.

It seems anything that tries to work with my sound card fails.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I do not know if it is possible for you to do this but you need to try. Go to the malware forum and see if they can find any malware on your computer. It very well could be malware that is causing your problems with the computer. I just need to know if that is the problem or not.

http://www.geekstogo...rials-f121.html

If you can come back from there with a clean bill of health for viruses and such then we can continue to try finding what your problem is with the computer. The other choice here is to run your recovery CD and take your computer back to when the OS was first installed.

If this system was sitting at my computer work table it would have already been wiped and windows reinstalled. I have been trying different methods to fix this but problems seem to keep rearing up. After a full week i think it is time to rethink what to do. Let me know which direction you want to go in. I will continue trying to help fix this but when you can't even install any programs to fix things it may be time to start over.

SRX660

justjohn86

justjohn86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well errors only ever arise when I try to access my sound card. I'm leaving recovery obviously as a last resort (lots of hassle backing stuff up).

I'll check out the possibility of malware and get back to you. Thanks.

justjohn86

justjohn86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well, I got the all clear from malware. I managed to uninstall the whole thing (there was a 'via setup program' uninstaller in add & remove), and tried long and hard to reinstall with the systems and drivers cd I got with the computer. I eventually got the most basic driver installed (only just though, as an error message came up just as it finished), but still whenever I try to work with the sound card I get error messages.

In the device manager it now reads: 'Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller'

The realtek driver was on the cd, so was the VIA codec combo driver that I had on originally. But when I tried to install that it told me it found no VIA chipset installed. Lies, all lies.

So, can anything be done? (Anything painless?)

justjohn86

justjohn86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Oh and the stereo sound seems better, but I'd still like to manage the sound card (update, uninstall etc.) without the computer being rude and not letting me. Thanks.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think you will have to live with this like it is. I have spent a hour looking thru the FIC website looking for the correct drivers which the manual from the FIC website says are VIA VT8235CE. I cannot find any such drivers on the site.

perhaps a better idea is to buy a regular sound card, then disable the on-board sound , and install the card and drivers. I have liked the creative Audigy sound cards but i recently tried a turtle beach and it souinded pretty good to me. This is just a option you might consider.

http://www.tigerdire...e...7&CatId=107

http://www.tigerdire...a...t=3&Recs=10

Theres a creative Sb live for $20 at the second link.

SRX660