Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start up problem

• Please log in to reply

NYYankeees133B

NYYankeees133B

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have Vista x64 and it seems that when it starts up right after the welcome screen before it loads the desktop it take a little more than half a minute for the desktop to load during that time there is a black screen and the mouse cursor and thats it. I disabled all unnecessary programs at startup but I still experience the same issue. I already posted a hijack this log and it came up clean for any malware. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm guessing it's a driver issue. Were you able to find digitally signed 64-bit drivers for all your hardware?

NYYankeees133B

NYYankeees133B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I was able to find digitally signed drivers for most of my hardware but some I could not should I try to disable the hardware that I couldn't find digitally signed drivers for and see if that helps. Thanks.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Driver support keeps me from recommending the 64-bit version. It's the old chicken and the egg problem. Manufacturer's say there isn't a large enough installed user base to rewrite all their drivers for 64-bit. Proponents of 64-bit aren't upgrading because of poor driver support. I do expect it to improve a lot in the next few months.

XP had bootvis, that would help identify drivers that are hanging. I'll have to poke around, but I recall seeing a similar diagnostic tool built into Vista. Disabling the hardware may not help resolve it.

NYYankeees133B

NYYankeees133B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I generated a system health report and I got the following issues:

Symptom: A service is reported as having an unexpected error code
Cause: One or more services has failed. The service did not stop gracefully, suggesting the service may have crashed or one of its components stopped in an unsupported way.
Details: Service exited with code not equal to 0 or 1077
Resolution: Restart the service
Related: Performance Diagnosis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symptom: Device drivers are not installed.
Cause: A driver has not been installed for this device preventing it from working properly.
Details: The device driver for Serial ATA Controller has not been installed. This device will not be available until the correct device driver is installed.
Resolution: 1. Try installing the drivers using Windows Update.
2. Install the drivers that are on the installation media that came with the device.
3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.
Related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symptom: Device drivers are not installed.
Cause: A driver has not been installed for this device preventing it from working properly.
Details: The device driver for WD External HDD Button & Lights has not been installed. This device will not be available until the correct device driver is installed.
Resolution: 1. Try installing the drivers using Windows Update.
2. Install the drivers that are on the installation media that came with the device.
3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.
Related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager