Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop error c1f5

• Please log in to reply

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Okay I posted here: http://www.geekstogo...ta-t207264.html

now that I have the machine... my vista machine will not boot with his hard drive in the system.... when I try to boot the vista dvd to try a repair it comes up with a stop error 0xc1f5 and halts.... I have tried researching this a little and many talk about stuff like this happening after an sp1 update to vista ( which is what he did ) but no real solutions to this....
any help appreciated...

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you read this article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946084

I have been reading that this article will fix the problem.

http://www.delmartia...YSKB946084.aspx

So, here's an overview of how I fixed my system. For part 1, you need a SystemRescueCD disc. Don't forget that Linux commands are case-sensitive, so pay careful attention to upper and lower case letters and spaces between items on the command line. Also note that several of these file names contain dollar signs ($), and the $ must be escaped from interpretation by the shell by preceding it immediately with a backslash (\), e.g. "\$foo" when referring to a file named $foo.

1. Boot the SystemRescueCD disc, answering any localization questions as required, until you get to a shell prompt.
2. Mount your hard drive at /mnt/windows using ntfs-3g, e.g. "ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows". You may have to "ls /dev/hd*" or "ls /dev/sd*" or "fdisk -l" to figure out the correct device to mount. If you are using a RAID device for your root file system, run "dmraid -ay" to attempt to mount all available RAID file systems, then "ls /dev/mapper" and look for your device. Also, if the NTFS file system is corrupted (which it probably is if you are reading this post) you may have to add the "-o force" flag to the mount, e.g. "ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows -o force".
3. Verify that you have the correct file system mounted by "ls /mnt/windows". You should see the content of "C:" or whatever is your boot drive in Windows... if you don't, repeat Step 2 until you mount the correct device.
4. Navigate to the first hidden folder: "cd /mnt/windows/\$Extend". Note the backslash before the $; that is important as it keeps the command shell from interpreting the $ (it is really part of the file name).
5. Navigate to the second hidden folder: type "cd \$RmMetadata". Once again, note that the $ is escaped with a backslash.
6. Type "ls". Among the files/folders listed you should see "$TxfLog".
7. Take a deep breath and recursively remove the $TxfLog file: "rm -rf \$TxfLog". Once again, note that the $ is escaped with a backslash.
8. Use "ls" to verify that it has been deleted. (You should see the same listing as in Step 6 except the $TxfLog folder is now missing.)
9. "cd /", "umount /mnt/windows", and "init 6" to reboot, removing the CD when appropriate.

At this point, your system will no longer bluescreen, but it won't boot, either. To fix that, here's part 2, for which you'll need a Vista DVD.

10. Boot the Vista DVD and choose "Repair my computer".
11. When the system looks for Vista installations to repair, it probably won't find any. Don't panic; just click Next.
12. In the System Recovery Options list, choose Startup Repair. The system will process for a minute or two, then state that it needs to reboot to finish its repair. Allow it to reboot.
13. Remove the DVD at the appropriate time and allow the system to boot from the hard drive.
14. If the system complains that it was not shut down properly, choose "boot normally".

That's it. With any luck at all you should have a bootable system again.

The STOP 0x0000C1F5 bug is a nasty one, and I am confident that Microsoft will release a hotfix and/or Windows Update for it soon. In the meantime, if you are experiencing the problem, I hope this article helps to get you running again.

SRX660

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
thanks SRX660 I hadn't seen the ms article but found the other you mentioned.... just waiting for results before I post back.... so far I have downloaded/burned the iso and run system rescue and was able to delete the $TxfLog file and am now able to boot from the vista dvd but it's still working on fixing... it's booted a second time and is attempting to fix some more things.... I will post my finding as soon as possible....

Oh and as an FYI I was able to boot to a Puppy linux 4.0 cd and see the hard drive and was even able to back up MS money backup but was unable to see or access my documents at all.... But Puppy was able to tell me which drive to mount to find windows directory ( sda2 ) as well....

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well not looking good.... ms article says use hotfix except you can't boot... so the "work around" is to format the offending drive...

AS far as the fix I found the windows dvd is still fixing from the last time I posted....

oh boy!

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
An update... I got a private message asking how this went to I'm including that and my reply below... I will the promised details as soon as I'm able .... busy schedule of late....

Hi. I am dying to know what the end result with the c1f5 error was. Did you fix it yourself or was it a complete loss? I have the same problem with no help from Microsoft! Any info will hopefully help me. My daughters wedding pictures just went on as I deleted them from the computer. I need to know if there is any hope of recovering them or am i just out of luck. Thanks for any information. Cindy

Yeah there is some hope... what the final results were I was finally able to boot the vista dvd after using the fix posted by srx660 and do several repair runs with it... First a boot repair and when it stopped allowing that it gave me the choice of doing a restore point... ultimately it didn't bring the computer back to life but I was able to use another vista machine to recover the data and then reload vista... I had found another article telling about this and related stuff ( it gave me a different black screen error message after the first couple of repairs... sorry don't remember the error but I can find it again as I printed it out... I'll be over there again on tuesday....) I hope to get all the stuff gathered together and write a full report soon... This was a LONG process.... by the way I'll post this to the forum so others that might be interested can see it.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Look at the top of this page:

Click on the link ---
Hotfix Download Available
View and request hotfix downloads <-- located here (top left corner with tools icon)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Look at the top of this page:

Click on the link ---
Hotfix Download Available
View and request hotfix downloads <-- located here (top left corner with tools icon)

and how do you apply a hotfix if your computer will not boot in any way...

anyway what I finally was able to do is after doing the systemrescuecd to remove the offending file... I was able to boot the vista dvd and run startup fix... after that I rebooted to get the error xc0000034.... on a black screen.... anyway after searching that I found that you can sometimes recover from that if you first do the fixboot with the vista dvd and then run the dvd again and try a restore point... unfortunately in my case it would not restore.... but after several automatic boot fixes I was finally able to access and back up the data on another vista machine and do a full reinstall...

Minie

Minie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
How do you install a hotfix into a computer if it does not go anywhere?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
What do you mean by 'it doesn't go anywhere'?

Minie

Minie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
What I am trying to say is that my computer only shows the blue screen of death and I have no idea on how to fix. I seriously need help.