Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange problems with a Dell Dimension L866r

• Please log in to reply

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Everyone

I have a most unusual double problem with a Dell Dimension L866r. The two problems are as follows:

(1) On startup it stops and says :

“A: Drive Error
Press <del> to resume”

When ‘Delete’ is pressed to continue. goes to,

“Invalid Boot Diskett
Insert Boot diskett in A:”

I removed the hard drive and it still did the same. Then, I disconnected the “A” drive and reset CMOS to boot on CDROM only, but it still did the same. I then switched RAM memory, but it still did the same.

Any ideas?

(2) I took the Hard Drive and put it in a working machine, and it would start up, but then go right back to boot up. I checked the HD with Winternals ERD Commander. It said no corrupt files found. Then I did a ‘restore’ using Winternals ERC Commander, but this did not help.

Details on Dell Dimension L866r:
Runs under Windows XP Prof., has 192 RAM, CPU = Intel ® Pentium ® III, 866 Mhz.

Any ideas?

[email protected]

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Enter the BIOS and in what is usually the first part of the menu you will see your drives. If you don't need A:, which is a floppy disk drive, mark it as "none" or "not available" or whatever option your BIOS need to disregard the floppy disk drive. You may also look in more advanced options to FDC (floppy disk controller) and disable it.

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Skeptic

Yes, BIOS was the first place I went and ‘disabled’ floppy drive, could not find an FDC in cmos (BIOS) but nothing seemed to work and that is when I posted for help. I am out of ideas.

Jsullivan33403

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Clear the BIOS by doing this:Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other message. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. Most desktops will boot into BIOS by clicking Delete or F2 keys immediately after switching on. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS (Setup). You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. If you don't, press the Pause/Break key immediately after startup to freeze the first screen. Now you should be able to see what keys tp press.

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Skeptic

Your last solution to my problem #1 worked great; to wit,

<<<(1) On startup it stops and says :

“A: Drive Error
Press <del> to resume”

When ‘Delete’ is pressed to continue. goes to,

“Invalid Boot Diskett
Insert Boot diskett in A:”

I removed the hard drive and it still did the same. Then, I disconnected the “A” drive and reset CMOS to boot on CDROM only, but it still did the same. I then switched RAM memory, but it still did the same.

Any ideas?>>>

Thanks an awful lot.

Do you have any ideas on my problem #2 on this computer; to wit,

<<<(2) I took the Hard Drive and put it in a working machine, and it would start up, but then go right back to boot up. I checked the HD with Winternals ERD Commander. It said no corrupt files found. Then I did a ‘restore’ using Winternals ERC Commander, but this did not help.

Details on Dell Dimension L866r:
Runs under Windows XP Prof., has 192 RAM, CPU = Intel ® Pentium ® III, 866 Mhz.

Any ideas?>>>

Your Friend jsullivan33403

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Can you describe what happens from startup to reboot exactly as you see it appear on the screen? All messages and screens you see are helpful.

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi The Admiral

Here is the description - it varied somewhat from the past:

I have recorded exactly what happens although the sequence this time varied from before a little:

1. Up came Dell logo
2. Then window with troubleshooting modes:
Safe mode
Safe Mode….
Safe Mode….
Last known good…
Start windows normally
3. Windows XP logo
4. Dell logo
5. Windows with troubleshooting modes:
6. Windows XP logo
7. (change from before) Started up with regular desktop screen
8. Suddenly error message came up. I pressed to find out what it was supposedly recovering from and here is what it said.
-Error Signature: BCCode 100000d1 , BCPI: c127a42a , BCP2: 00000002 , BCP3: 00000000 , BCP4: f6575ac5 , OSVer: 5_1_2600 , SP: 2_0 , Product: 256_1
9. Dell logo
10. Windows XP logo
11. Dell Logo
12. Then window with troubleshooting modes:
13. Windows XP logo

jsullivan33403

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Okay, go ahead and turn the computer on, then start tapping <F8>, which should bring up a slightly different menu. One of the options is going to be "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", select that and press Enter. The sequence, in all, should be this:

Dell Logo
<F8>
Windows Advanced Options Boot Menu
Windows XP logo
BLUESCREEN

From the blue screen, we need all of the information under "Technical Information".

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Ran program, but bluescreen never came up:

1. Dell logo
2. Pressed F8 continuously
3. Windows advanced options boot menu came up.
4. Windows XP logo [three blocks kept running across], but never went further in ½ hour.

Reran, but had exactly the same results.

Jsullivan33403

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Have you tried booting into safe mode yet? If you can, check for the presence of a C:\WINDOWS\Minidump folder, and see if it has a lot of files in it. Also check the Event Log (Start > Control Panel > Administrative Programs > Event Log) for any events with Event ID: 1001, Source: Save Dump. The description will be something like "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was : 0xc000021a (0xe1270188, 0x00000001, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Microsoft Windows NT (v15.1381). A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\MEMORY.DMP."

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Admiral

Tried going to ‘Safe Mode’ was able to go there one time but search was not working correctly so could NOT find C:\winnt\memory.dmp.

To try and find it, put install disk in and went to recovery console and managed to get a c:\windows prompt. At that point did a dir and looked for c:\windows\winnt\memory.dmp but found only c:\windows\winnt.bmp (size 48,680) and c:\windows\winnt256.bmp (size 48,680).

Then tried again and got a STOP: 0x00000050 (0x83314470, 0x00000001, 0x8082ap41, 0400000000)

Then tried to do a repair install as recorremended by Admin.

[1 st] try. Started to do a repair install (not console repair) but came to a stop.

[2 nd] try. Up came a STOP: 0x0000000A (0x8314F2D8, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x807f835e)

[3 rd.] try. After starting to do a repair install, suddenly a notice came up.

“Setup has performed maintenance on your hard drive, You must restart your computer to continue with setup.”

[4 th] try. STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8dwer913, 0x00000000, 0x808017a8, 0x00000000)

[5 th] try. Loaded to 55% then STOP: 0x00000050 (0xbf7001C, 0x00000001, 0x80803774, 0x00000002)

[6th] try. Loaded to 76% then STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x807d4a28)

jsullivan33403

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I'm not looking for C:/winnt/memory.dmp, I'm looking for any files in C:/WINDOWS/Minidump/.

Since you have probably hosed your system by your six repair installs, you may be looking at a full blown reinstallation of Windows.

In the Recovery Console, run a chkdsk /r three times and see if that fixes any problems.

Edited by The Admiral, 02 September 2008 - 06:34 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I honestly can't follow up on this topic. Please do as instructed and no more. It's very confusing. There is a methodology in analyzing problems and the present state of affair messes up everything. I don't even understand if the first problem, the one with the A disk is solved or not. Please do as instructed by Admiral and report the situation briefly and accurately.