Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Does Not Restore

• Please log in to reply

Unit Alpha

Unit Alpha

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have been having quite a few problems with my computer today and I went to try Windows Restore after all else failed. I did so and when the computer restarted afterward and the screen came up about System Restore, I said that it could restore to that date and that no changes were made. I tried a couple of other dates but to no avail. And yes, I do have it turned on. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I read that it might be possible to rectify the situation by turning SR off and then back on. But won't that delete all the files that SR uses? And I want to restore from them.

Edited by Unit Alpha, 31 July 2008 - 02:52 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Disabling System Restore will purge the restore cache but if the entire collection of checkpoints is corrupt anyway its pointless keeping them.
Let's try something else, what exactly is wrong with your computer that requires you to use System Restore on a regular basis?

Unit Alpha

Unit Alpha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry about that. Let me clarify: I tried a couple of out dates today when I was trying to restore when it asks you to choose a date to restore to. The problems I am having involve explorer.exe continually crashing randomly when using the Windows file system, drwatson32.exe crashing quite a bit, one letter on the top bar of all Windows Explorer programs (For example, My Documents would be M; I don't have Google toolbar installed either), and DEP want to shut down Windows Explorer (I made it an exception in the DEP options but Windows Explorer still crashes), and a few other things that all began simultaneously. I have defraggmented the hard drive and registry, run all the Glary Utilities on it along with CCleaner and its registry cleaner, scanned the hard drive with AVG, Spyware Terminator, Spybot Search and Destroy, Rootkit Revealer, and HijackThis, along with uninstalling dozens of programs, and de-customizing Windows entirely.

Unit Alpha

Unit Alpha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok I just did a clean system install so the problem has been resolved.