Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System running very slowly

• Please log in to reply

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I just recently reformatted my computer (well, I used Alienware's Respawn kit - though I think it's actually called Norton Ghost or something - to reset back to how my computer was first set).

I did this because I was playing this game Trickster which required me to install this program called Gameguard. I had read that Gameguard would slow my computer down and leave it vulnerable to attacks and stuff but I figured I could just delete it when I finished. After I installed Gameguard, the "system" process kept using at least 30% of my CPU even after I just turn on the computer. Prior to the installation, it used only 0-5%. Well, the program didn't uninstall with the game and I couldn't find anyone who knew how to uninstall it. (Some people told me to delete a certain registry but I couldn't find it, and no one else could help me.) So I decided to restore my computer back to its original state.

Now, that I've done this, I find that the problem still persists. Does that mean that there's a problem in my hardware? My computer is fairly new (less than half a year or so), so I don't really believe that would be the case. Can anyone help me? :s

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Could you not have used 'System Restore' to turn your PC back to a date before you installed Trickster and/or GameGuard? That would have automatically restored the Registry to it's previous state without any manual editing. It may not be too late to try that now if you can remember what date you installed GameGuard, then choose a date in System Restore's calendar which is earlier than that (assuming the restore points go back that far).

If that is a 'no go' (for example, if you disabled SR)you can type GameGuard into google and check out the hits for any possible tips on how to get rid of it.

Edited by pip22, 23 September 2006 - 01:43 PM.

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, my restore points didn't go back that far, but at this point it's pointless because I've already "reformatted" my computer.

Gameguard is no longer on my computer. I thought it was the culprit that was slowing my computer down, but now that it's gone, my computer is still running very slowly.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
So I did what you said, a couple spywares and something else (Agent.200) were found, but my problem still persists. I feel like this will turn out to be a hardware problem...

EDIT: I just realized I had placed my Hijackthis log in the wrong forum... :whistling: Ignore this post for now :blink:

Edited by MorningRayn, 29 September 2006 - 01:42 PM.