Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toublesome Roommate

• Please log in to reply

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
:)

Hi there friends:

I have a DSL conenction in my house that i share with 2 other guys. One of the guys just recently moved in. We share all utilities 3 way, including the DSL. Turns out that the new guy is a bandwidth hogger!!!!!! :woot:
He has the computer running 24-7, and connected to bit-torrent and where not and downloading away like there's no tomorrow. This hurts my browsing speed!!!

All that i wanted to know is how to cut down his speed, I have a NETGEAR router and i have a tux box hooked up in there too. Is there anyway i can cut down that guys bandwidth and slow his downloads? maybe slower speeds will put him off from further downloads.

thanks in advance for the help, am sure u guys can help me out as you all have done before!

:tazz:

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello sunny441 and Welcome to Geeks to Go, :tazz:

Please provide answers for the following questions, so we may come to the best solution for your Problem:

1) Are you the Owner of the Broadband Subscription - meaning you pay the Monthly Bill?

2) Does your ISP allow Multiple IP Leases - you may have to call them to find out?

3) What is the Model of your Netgear router?

4) What is the Version of your Netgear Router?

5) What Firmware are you using on your Netgear router?

6) What steps have you already taken to try and limit his bandwidth usage?

*NOTE*
BitTorrent is a fileswapping FTP site for exceptionally large files and I am not sure if this is a Violation of the NEW P2P TOS for G2G, so we may not be able to help you... I will ask Admin take a look and see.

sunny441

sunny441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
HI there thanks for your reply - my situtation is that i just want to limit the other guys bandwidth. I am the subscriber, and i pay the monthly bill for this service. Both the phone and the DSL are in my name. i have not taken any steps to limit his bandwidth, apart form talking to him and trying to stuff some sense into him. I am in no way encouraging on here the use of bit-torrent. My problem is simple and i jsut want to limit his bandwidth.

My router is a NETGEAR WGT624, 108 mbps firewall router. is it a/b/g type and my firmware version is V4.1.8_1.0.1 .

Looking forward to any help i can get

thanks

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello sunny441 and welcome back,

I have been given permission to help, since you are the account owner and you are not the one using the P2P services, below are the only two option i could find for the Netgear wgt624 router:

Option 1 - block access to Bittorent downloads as they are considered P2P

1. Open a browser and type the router's IP address in the URL field. The default is http://192.168.0.1.
2. Enter the username and password to access the router (The username is Admin, the password is password, unless you changed it from the default).
3. Locate somewhere within one of the tabs an area about : Static content filtering
4. input the the word : bittorrent ..... and click save
5. You might want to change the username and password so your roomie doesnt delet these options later.

Option 2 - Set port Priorities - Specifies which Port / IP Address has priority over over all downloads and uploads and the most bandwidth will automatically be allocated to the port / IP address specified.

1. See this web page for a HOW TO on your Netgear WGT624:

http://kbserver.netg...asp#RP614Anchor

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Unfortuately I don't think the above method will work, simply because while there are default BitTorrent ports, there is no requirement under the protocol to actually use them. On my Netgear WGR614 router, BitTorrent does not appear as a listed service, after all, how could it tell what is a BitTorrent packet?

I'd suggest the following method, firstly tell your roomie that if he doesn't implement some form of speed scheduler, you'll do it for him, here's how:

1. Under LAN IP Setup reserve (by MAC address) 192.168.0.2 for youself and 192.168.0.3 for the good roomie.
2. Under Block Services add a new user-defined service, say "Anti-P2P", Protocol TCP/UDP, Ports 1280-65534, IP range 192.168.0.4-192.168.0.255
3. Choose to block by schedule, then go to the schedule page and set the times that his downloads are annoying you.

This will kill BitTorrent firstly by blocking access to the tracker (if on the default port), but more importantly by blocking his ability to connect to peers. It will also, at the very least, cripple any other P2P protocol and may interfere with on-line gaming (depending on ports used). It will NOT affect web-browsing, email, FTP and other standard internet services.

sunny441

sunny441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
AWESOME..

i will try that later tonight! :tazz: hope that works... it should choke his downloading to a slow but sure death i hope :)

cheers

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
LoL, I used to use the same method in my apt to kill torrent addict roomates. I used to just block their mac addresses in the nights (usually when they were asleep). And during the day, I used to give access only to port 80, ssh, smtp,and imap ports. They were router illetrates :). But they knew that resetting the router would somehow always solve the problem :tazz: . (settings get reset to factorysettings when reset)

Also, if your roommate uses Yahoo messengers voice chat feature it will hang up the pc because it uses port 5000(not too sure about the port).

cheers

not_napster

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Jeez , I don't know whats wrong today. I'm multiple posting everything.

Edited by not_napster, 25 October 2005 - 01:58 PM.

RayG

RayG

• Pip
  • 3 posts

:tazz:

Hi there friends:

I have a DSL conenction in my house... the computer running 24-7, and connected to bit-torrent and where not and downloading away like there's no tomorrow. This hurts my browsing speed!!!

Not sure why his downloading should affect your browsing speed. If you're all connected to a router, each person should be getting the same dedicated bandwidth. You also mentioned a 'tux box', is this some sort of hub?

RayG