Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with PC connecting to wireless network

• Please log in to reply

tennisgiant21

tennisgiant21

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi guys,

So here is the problem I am having with my wireless internet connection.

My set up is like this:

DSL internet from the wall, going into the modem, going into a linksys router. I have a Mac with a wired internet connection going into the router. I also have a Nintendo Wii connecting wirelessly, as well as a PC connecting wirelessly.

The Mac and the Wii work fine, and the PC was too. But one day, out of the blue, my PC would no longer connect (didn’t change any settings the day before). Can I assume that the problem is only with the PC?

The wireless USB adapter connected to my PC does detect a strong connection. I’m also able to ping my router IP address from my PC.

Here are some things I have tried so far:

Command prompt ----> ipconfig, and here are the results (seems normal, right?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Brian>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

C:\Documents and Settings\Brian>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tried ipconfig/renew and release, /flushdns, etc

Checked to make sure that the WEP on the router matches the WEP on my computer settings (it matched)

Not sure what else I can do on my own without asking you experts! Any chance that it is a virus/malware issue? I do run a Zonealarm firewall, and use AVG that updates daily.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated :)

Thanks,

-Brian

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I know this sounds simple but have you tried power cycling the router so it is forced to assign your PC a new ip address?

Can you ping 192.168.1.1?

Do you have your router set to limit the number of DHCP clients? Linksys typically allows 10 by default not sure about other manufacturers.

Virus/malware is possible but typically one of the latter things to suspect. The only way that I know of a virus to kill your internet access is by altering your DNS or breaking your LSP chain. Malware typically wants you to still be connected to the internet so they can use your computer for their needs so this is not likely but defiantly possible.

Edited by Titan8990, 21 July 2008 - 08:13 PM.

tennisgiant21

tennisgiant21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi Titan,

Thanks for the help.

I power cycled the router, but nothing changed unfortunately.

Yes, I am able to ping 192.168.1.1, and can check out my router settings.

Right now the limit for DHCP clients is 50.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Are there signs of malware on this machine?

Can you ping 64.233.197.99?

tennisgiant21

tennisgiant21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Titan,

As far as I know, there aren't any signs of malware. I could be wrong of course...but it's been a good while since my computer has randomly restarted or froze up on me.

No, I can't ping 64.233.197.99

Do you think we're at the point where I need to install hijackthis, and post my results on the other forum?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Not yet, lets try a couple more things first. Wire the PC in to the Router, power cylce the router and then attempt to log on to the internet.

tennisgiant21

tennisgiant21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Titan,

No luck with the wired connection to the router.

I also tried a connection from the DSL modem straight to the PC, with no router, and that didn't work either.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I suspect there is a problem with your LSP chain. I am going to send you over to malware.

Malware forums: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Read this first: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

After they are finished with you please return here and let me know the results.

tennisgiant21

tennisgiant21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Titan,

I just got my problem fixed by Mike at the Malware forums.

The culprit turned out to be Windows update KB951748, it apparently causes internet loss for some Windows 2000/XP users who run Zonealarm (and don't have ZA up to date)

All I had to do was go into Control Panel ----> Add/Remove Programs, check "show all updates", remove that specific update, and restart.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by tennisgiant21, 27 July 2008 - 01:15 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Good to hear :). Always happy to help.