Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Wireless and CPU temps

• Please log in to reply

fani

fani

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

I had posted in the hardware section a few days back that my CPU was heating up and the comp was freezing up. Heatsink is about the cleanest possible, having cleaned up the dust frequently. Here is the link to the topic - http://www.geekstogo...ly-t155436.html

The advice given was to reapply the thermal grease and reseat the heat sink. However, since I had never done that, I was wary of doing it.

On further investigation, I figured that the USB wireless card was causing the CPU to heat up, even when the CPU fan was running at 100% which is a high speed and pretty noisy.

Comp config - AMP Athlon 2.10 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 2 HDDs, Maddog 430 W PSU etc.

When I disconnect the USB wireless card (D-Link AirPlus G DWL G-120) and use the ethernet connectivity, of course wired config, the temp drops by about 10C from 45C to 35C. I have used lot of stress testing (running all types of apps etc.) and found that the temps continue to be 10C lower with ethernet connectivity. This is while the CPU fan is running at 55%.

BTW, I have used BIOS temp, Speedfan temp, Everest as well as Asus Probe to monitor the temps and all of them point to the same pattern.

Is there any reason why this is happening? Is it a problem with the USB wireless card ? Dont I have the chance of using wireless networking and have to be wired up to access internet????

Edited by fani, 11 June 2007 - 07:37 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
USB devices (especially active ones like wireless dongles) tend to take up a lot more processor time, therefore the more activity the processor does, the more it heats up. It shouldn't heat up that much though, should only be a couple of degrees. Anything more than this should be investigated.

fani

fani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks Niel for the input.

I was in chat yesterday and I was told that I would have to remount the heatsink and probably replace the CPU fan.