Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown publisher/invalid signature errors when downloading

• Please log in to reply

KL23

KL23

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
(I apologize if this is the wrong forum area for this question - I'm not sure where to put it.)

Recently when I tried to download the latest iTunes update I got through the "run" stage and then receive an Internet Explorer Security Warning error message saying: "Windows has found a problem with this file." It says the publisher is unknown and that "This file was blocked because it does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher."

At first I thought there was something amiss with the download. I eventually got "help" from apple support and they suspected it was my router. Not sure why. Their suggested potential fix was pretty complicated so since I was okay with my latest iTunes I skipped the update.

Then I wanted to download adobe AIR and got the same message.

The adobe and iTunes sites seem legit and trustworthy and I don't understand why I would be getting this message suddenly. I haven't changed any security settings or anything.

I have Norton security.

Edited by KL23, 27 December 2009 - 01:44 AM.

Advertisements

KL23

KL23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Here is my hijack this log if that's helpful:

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Try using Firefox web browser for downloading stuff. It's safer than IE anyway because it doesn't use ActiveX technology which is often used to dump malicious software on your pc, and it doesn't attract as much malware as IE because most malware creators target IE since it's by far the most used browser.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you try adjusting the security level in IE?

In IE...Go to Tools and then internet options.
Go to the advanced tab and scroll down to security.
In security..
uncheck "allow software to run or install even if the signature is invalid"

KL23

KL23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hmm. Although I have had troubles with Firefox hanging in the past and removed it, I just tried to reinstall it and got an error message saying "the file is corrupt".

I tried going into IE security settings and adjusting a bunch of stuff - I checked"allow software to run or install even if the signature is invalid" since it was unchecked and I want to install the software even though IE keeps telling me the signature is invalid. I also checked or unchecked some others relating to security certificate stuff and tried again with different combos. Again, same message "unknown publisher" and the invalid signature thing.

What the heck?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions and start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

if you are unable to download or run ANY of the tools...try downloading them on another computer and put them on a flash drive or cd and try installing them that way..
no joy...
start a new topic and let them know you can't run any of the tools..

baublitz

baublitz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Today I had COX cable come in to diagnose some problems. Anyways one of the guys told me that he had this problem and it is network router related. If you have a NETGEAR router I think this might solve the problem:

Go into your router configurations (192.168.1.1 in your address bar) and find "Disable SPI firewall" and make sure it is checked. This setting scans parts of every file you download and will reject some of them; causing an incomplete - or unverified publisher - error.

Apply settings and see what happens, it worked for me!

Afitz

Afitz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Unable to install anything because of "unknown publisher invalid signature" error messages, I proceeded through steps of Spyware Cleaning Guide, but got stopped and presented with the following error message: MBAM_ERROR_LOAD_DATABASE (0,5). What does this mean? What is the fix?