Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Update and OUTLOOK problems

• Please log in to reply

srfdog

srfdog

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: :)

We have recently been having problems with our home system. It seems to have started after installing SP2.
Automatic Updates is trying ( and failing ) to install microsoft. net framework
ver. 1.1 SP1. The update site sees the upgrade as being downloaded but the installation fails - no error code. Microsoft net.framework shows up in the add/remove programs list. I tried uninstalling it there and tried to re-install from the site with the same result. There is a knowledge base article - KB886903 that seems to address the issue. Should I try to follow the steps outlined there?

The second issue is an OUTLOOK send/ receive problem.
Send/ Receive All locks up- will not complete either task. I have checked the send/receive settings under the options window, removed and re-added the POP3 account, disabled the Norton ( and windows ) firewall and virus stuff, and disabled automatic updates. The error message says the server is found but not responding. Same thing happens when using OUTLOOK to test account settings.
If after failing to connect and send a test message, OUTLOOK is closed, it can not be re-started without a re-boot. There is still an icon in the tray! I was actually able to make things work once or twice by playing with the above but things went right back as they were

I would be very grateful for any help the group could offer.
Thanks,
SRFDOG :)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
For problem A, remove from ADD/REMOVE and then download the redistributable service pack from here:

http://msdn.microsof...es/default.aspx

and install

---for problem 2

what occurs when you download one account at a time (you said send receive all). Different or same?

The inability to use outlook again without reboot occurs because outlook stays in memory for a while before shutting down--you can kill the process by hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL, going to the processes tab of task manager, and selecting outlook and killing it...this will not solve the issue, but it will save a reboot.

Do you have a spam filtering program?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
one other thought...download an alternative like Mozilla thunderbird....set it up...does the problem recur?

I'm not suggesting a switch....I am just curious as to whether the problem is on your end or your ISP.

I have encountered a few cases where the ISP makes a change that causes issues for users