Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading CPU (dual core vs. quad core) and mobo

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Just downloaded the Medal of Honor: Airborne demo and found that their is no way I will be able to play it with my current Pentium D and it is time to upgrade. I am looking at either the Core 2 duo E6600 (+ or -) or one of the Core 2 Quads most likely the Q6600 since the Q6700 is like twice the price. On Tom's Hardware's CPU charts the quad seems to win most of the time but in a couple of cases they are neck to neck. What do you guys suggest? Should I get a Quad or Dual core? If a Dual core should I get something higher.
Here a made a quick list of possible CPUs:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115002

With a new CPU I am just going to upgrade this crappy mobo as well. So I am debating whether or not I should get a SLI board. I am kinda leaning towards getting one. If I do then what kind? The most common seems to be the 650i boards. Also should I worry about the nForce 500 boards or about all of the 680i ulta or 650i ultra?

Edited by jackflash1991, 24 August 2007 - 02:04 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I would go for the E6850, second choice E6750, they have the higher FSB that will help in your gaming. And a motherboard, I would look at something like this.

In your signature, you've written:

Memory: 2046 RAM

So what happened to the other 2MB's? Are you going to be keeping everything else and swapping it into your system?

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Cheers Ruthandtroy.
I think I might go for the E6750. It is cheaper then the E6600 and has a greater performance. The $100 greater price tag for E6850 seems to be a bit much for only a little more performance. Is there something I missed?

I was looking for the differences between all of the 680i and 650i and found this:
http://www.slizone.c..._help_mobo.html
In SLI mode the PCI Express Bandwidth of the 650i is only 8x while the 680i's bandwidth in SLI is 16x. What do you think? Should I stay with the 650i or go with the 680i?

For

what happened to the other 2MB's?

I am not exactly sure. I have 2GBs so I think 2MBs wont be that bad in loosing. Maybe it's that kind of memory that the video card uses, but with 640mb on the card I don't see why it would.
And yes I am keeping everything else.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
OK I have done some reading and have decided to just stay with the 650i. But when reading the reviews on the board you recommended I found this:

Cons: If you do purchase this motherboard make SURE it ships with version F7 BIOS. Mine shipped with version F4 BIOS and it is not compatible with Intel 6750 processors and newer. I had to install a coworkers 6600 chip and reflash the BIOS with F7 from the website. Then re-install my 6750 chip. Also had problems with it not wanting to recognize RAM - problem after problem and I finally had to return it.

and

Cons: NOTE: The specs say 1333 fsb BUT ONLY after a F7 BIOS update. If you have a newer 1333 fsb chip like the e6750 you will be out of luck (will not post). Unless you can borrow a cheap compatible Celeron (or other), do the bios update, and then put in your new chip.

So this board does not like the E6750 and I was going to get that CPU.

Do you or anyone else have some recommendations?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Price wise I think the E6750 is worth it and I have a E6600 and it handles everything so that should be more that sufficient.

P.S: Is it just me or are controls for quick link and other things gone from the quick reply section?

Soorena

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Must be just you. I have all of those controls.

Which one should I get:
http://www.newegg.co.....alue=736:7588

Edited by jackflash1991, 24 August 2007 - 11:55 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is more a preference. I would just stay away from the ECS. Personally I like Gigabytes but you might like the Abit better if you don't plan on overclocking.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The Gigabyte motherboard will work, you just need to update the BIOS first! That is, if it doesn't come with the latest already... You will be able to use your Pentium D processor to do this, so you shouldn't have any worries.

I was only pointing out about your RAM is that 2GB = 2048MB, although the system usually reserves the first little bit for something or rather... Nothing serious, but you definitely haven't lost it!

Please stay away from ECS! I just recently sold a second-hand system with one of their motherboards in it, and I am so glad I got rid of it!

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
That seems like a lot if work and frustration.

...but you might like the Abit better if you don't plan on overclocking.

So you say the Abit is not good for overclocking. I am overclocking so should I not get the Abit? Also do any of the MSIs or Asus through any red flags? The MSI P6N has a lot of reviews and is a 1x Winner of Customer Choice Award - Intel Motherboards.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Why is Abit so bad for overclocking. On Tom's Hardware they don't mention much about overclocking problems. In fact it is the 2nd best in overclocking.

Abit's Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI ranks second in overclocking and fourth in performance, but this board is only 0.4% slower than the best performing Asus models. Overclocking by 1% would more than make up that difference, and Abit didn't hack away at connectors to save pennies on production cost. Its low average Web price makes it a great value.

Here is the article:
http://www.tomshardw...red/page23.html

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm not too sure why he said that, I've heard Abit's overclock good also... I'm pretty sure admin has an Abit at the moment, I read it somewhere, I'll PM him and see if he wants to contribute...

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Nice thanks. I also emailed Newegg about the Gigabyte, asking if it was now shipping with the F7 BIOS update.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I have an Abit IP35-E. It's the easiest overclocking board I've ever used. CPUs can generally get the same overclock using less voltage, and RAM stays cool. While mine only runs about 400mhz, I know someone that has his FSB at 500mhz, and I've heard of some people getting 600mhz. However, I think it may have more to do with the Intel P35 chipset than anything else. If you have a CPU like an E6600 or E6750 you can likely get a 50% overclock.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
And thanks for that special *guest* performance from admin! :whistling:

So he has an Abit motherboard, but is using a different chipset. If you weren't looking at the 650i chipsets so dearly, I would recommend something like what admin has (P35), for sure...

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

And thanks for that special *guest* performance from admin! :whistling:

lol

If you weren't looking at the 650i chipsets so dearly, I would recommend something like what admin has (P35), for sure...

So what board exactly would you suggest. I am kinda just giving up on the 650is.

Edited by jackflash1991, 26 August 2007 - 08:29 AM.