Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my home build(video card?)

• Please log in to reply

Dumanated

Dumanated

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey all.
I am thinking about upgrading my PC that I built about a year and a half ago. I use it for a fair amount of gaming and recently hooked it up to my HDTV. It plays games fine but usually on medium or lower settings. I am thinking about just upgrading the video card. Will that be enough? Any suggestions?

Here are my specs.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 420 2.21 Ghz
2GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
M2N-SLI Mobo DDR2
430W Power Supply

Let me know if there is anything other info I can provide.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, and welcome! :)

What graphics card are you intending to upgrade to?

What "430W Power Supply" do you have (make and model)?

Troy

Dumanated

Dumanated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
My power supply is a Thermaltake tr2 430w. I am not sure exactly what video card I want yet. I am looking for something with better performance on games (Fallout 3, Crysis) and something that can handle HD output a little better than my current card.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I wouldn't go too much further on that PSU, as it's only very basic.

What's your budget for the upgrades?

Dumanated

Dumanated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'd like to keep it under $200. Should I upgrade the PSU and video card? Can I do both for less than $200?
Thanks for your help.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Here's my recommendations.

PSU Use promo code EMCLNLP34

Video Card

All up, under $200, and should give a decent increase.

Troy

Dumanated

Dumanated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sounds good to me. Thanks for your help. One last question. Is it possible to run the new video card and my current one at the same time and have them work together?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Sounds good to me. Thanks for your help. One last question. Is it possible to run the new video card and my current one at the same time and have them work together?

No they will NOT work together AND at the same time to boost performance if you are talking about that..

What you are thinking about is SLI. For SLI (Nvidia) you need a SLI capable motherboard with 2 pci express 16x slots and the video card has to be the same MODEL.