Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM MISSING OR CORRUPT

• Please log in to reply

country girl

country girl

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello all, I have a sick computer please help>I'm getting a message \widows\system32\config\system corrupt or missing file. I have tried the cd to boot setup, hit R to repair nothing happens my system freezes and I have to turn computer off. I tried save mode it won't let me. I used f8, f12 and no change. This happened when I shut computer off and some updates loaded automatic at shut down. The next day windows came up but it was frozen so I turned it off and restart and I got a black screen with the message. How can I fix it without losing any personal things like pictures, you see I recently lost my youngest son and all the latest pictures of him are in this computer? Can some one please help. Thank You

Edited by country girl, 29 April 2009 - 06:11 PM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Countrygirl,

I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I'm moving your post to the right forum, and I'll make sure you get some help. We'll do our best to save your pictures for you.

country girl

country girl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you Sari I appreciate all your help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello country girl...

My condolences on your loss.

Let's see if we can get your machine running for you. The first thing we need to try is to see if we can load the last working registry. You'll find the option to do this on the Advanced Boot Options screen...the same place you'll find the option for Safe Mode. Start the machine and tap the F8 key until you see the boot options, then use the arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration"...press "Enter" and see if the machine will boot to Windows.

Let me know what happens.

wannabe1

country girl

country girl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I tried f8 last known configuration it didn't work.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried the option for "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" from the Advanced Boot options? That will sometimes start when regular Safe Mode won't.

We're going to have to work our way to a command prompt to load an older copy of the registry. There are several ways to go about this...Safe Mode with a Command Prompt being the first and easiest to try.

See if you can get that to load and let me know what happens. If it hangs while loading files, please let me know what the last file in the list is.

country girl

country girl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It didn't work multidiskrdiskpartition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe,hal.dll,KDCOM.DLL,BOOTVIDdll,config\system.log this is what I see on my screen with \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM after trying it.
Sorry the last file was multidiskrdiskpartition(2)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.LOG

Edited by country girl, 29 April 2009 - 07:34 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let me gather a little information about your machine before we move to the next step.

First, what kind of computer are we working on? Is it an OEM machine such as Dell, HP, Compaq, etc...? Having the make and model number of the machine may help.

Then, what disk are you using to access the repair function (where you press R)? Did the disk come with the machine or was it purchased separately?

country girl

country girl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It's a dell XPS 9P73L91 and the cd came with the machine. It is OPERATING SYSTEM already installed on my computer. It's a reinstallation DVD version 2005. By the way thank you for your time and help I appreciate it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The Dell CD will give us a couple options that others don't...which is good. One of them is Recovery Console, which you tried unsuccessfully (where you pressed R)...which is not so good.

Does the machine you are using now have a CD burning drive and do you have burning software like Nero or Roxio installed? I'd like to make a different disk to use to access Recovery Console. It will require that you burn a disk as an ISO image...which requires the burning software. If you don't have such a program, there are free applications we can use.

Advertisements

country girl

country girl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm using my dell labtop XPS140 I have Roxio on it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm not real familiar with Roxio, but it should have an option to burn an ISO image. I'm giving you a direct download link to an image file of Recovery Console. Save the file somewhere you can find it. Once it's downloaded, burn the file as an ISO image and we'll see if we can boot the broken machine with it and access Recovery Console. If this doesn't work, we still have one very good option left using your Dell CD.

Download RC.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image.

If Roxio has trouble burning this disk or does not have the capability for burning ISO image files, let me know and I'll provide a link to a free program to burn the disk with.

Once burned, see if you can boot the machine with it and access Recovery Console by pressing the R key on the Welcome to Setup screen.

country girl

country girl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I down loaded the link. Do I use a cd-write or dvd -r?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A CD-R will work just fine.

country girl

country girl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Do I go through the steps like starting from windows from cd hit r to repair?