Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What did I get myself into?

• Please log in to reply

SusanMassachusetts

SusanMassachusetts

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Did you know that there is an advanced user mode on Spybot? Well, I do know! Of course I didn't read the disclaimer until I had throughly messed up my computer. :woot: :P :P

:) I used the advance mode for system information, scanned the inner workings of my system. I was amazed at what was found. Partially deleted programs, partially installed programs, old hardware, old software, a bunch of junk.
:tazz: Thinking I had hit paydirt, of course I let spybot delete the junk.
:) Well what an idiot I am!! :)
:woot: I restart my computer, and ba-da-boom ba-da-bing I can't do anything! I have no memory available to open this, not enough to open that. Nothing would finish loading on start up. My Dell system has no way of going back to a previous day of operation to wipe out my major boo-boo. So I figure, ok, I will undo what I had done. So I go the the spyboy, reinstall all the stuff I did. Doing this however is a BIG mistake, because, there were some BAD stuff that had been deleted, and now was being installed onto the computer. For example a web toolbar that eats up memory like nobodies business. It took all night to get that off the computer! Which was difficult because it started on start up, and then ate the memory, so I couldn't open the control panel.
:woot: So ....... I dont' know what to do. I have altered the start up, so only a few programs open .

Internet explorer will not work.
Help will not display the information, so I can't troublshoot or link to anything
Find will not find
I can get my Netzero to connect, and get the Netscape to open.
AIM will open, but not the buddy screen window, no IM, etc.

PLEASE :P :( me.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello can Welcome to Geeks To Go :woot:

Looks like you have done a lot of damage :)

Lets try and to do a repair installtion of XP, you can find instruction on how to do so HERE. This should at least undo most of the damage. Then we can try and fix what is left. :)

Hope this :woot: s :tazz:

Edited by Michael, 04 November 2005 - 04:07 AM.

SusanMassachusetts

SusanMassachusetts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you so much for getting back to me......I have Windows 98 (not 2nd) is there a link for that too?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Sorry I should have noticed that you did not have XP This should at least fix something. Please do it and tell me how it gose.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Do you have an installation disk, or are the installation files on the C: drive? If so we can reinstall Windows without losing your programs, files or settings. First , using any computer, go to www.allbootdisks.com and make a win98se boot disk with ramdrive. Use that disk to boot your machine, just put it in and boot up. At the prompt choose "with cd-rom support", and when you see the A: prompt, type in

find /n "ProductKey" C:\windows\system.dat

exactly like that, then hit Enter. Very careully write down your product key, it has 25 alphanumeric characters in 5 groups.

If you know where the installation files are on the hard disk enter the path name, usually but not always

C:\win98 or

C:\windows\options\cabs

but they may be named install or setup. After you've found the folder, if it's there Enter dir /p to see if all the cabinet files are there. If so, just type setup and hit Enter to begin reinstalling.

If they aren't there things are a little more involved. You have to make a win98 folder in C:

md C:\win98

and of course hit Enter. Then you have to copy the files in the cd-rom to the hard drive. Note the the cd-rom drive letter is R: for the allbootdisks floppy.

copy R:\win98 C:\win98

You will be told when the copy is completed. When it is, Enter

C:\win98\setup

and setup will start. Remove the cd and the floppy at this time. The copy command will not copy any folders to win98, but they can be moved over once Windows is working again. You may need to reinstall some drivers.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
DP

Edited by Tyger, 04 November 2005 - 09:19 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Was there any resolution to this problem? This topic got kind of messed up because the board software wasn't working quite right at the time.