Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which graphics card to buy?

• Please log in to reply

fortuitous

fortuitous

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Hi there everyone, ive been thinking about getting a new graphics card for my computer, and i realised i didnt have a clue which one to get, ive read a few reviews, but most of the time i dont understand what they mean. so i was wondering if anyone could reccomend one to me.

I like playing a wide variety of games and watch a lot of movies on my computer, so it needs to be a pretty good one, but i also need it to cost less than 100GBP.

My PC is a dell optiplex gx520, 2.8GHz Pentium D, 1GB ram

could you please reccomend a good one, many thanks.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Unfortunately, you are stuck with a PCI computer, which means you cant get any of the great PCI Express x16 cards, or the decent AGP x8 cards. Just the... below average, shall we say?... PCI cards. The best one you can get is probably the:
VisionTek Radeon X1300 GDDR2 Low Profile PCI Video Card.

However, it won't run many games well, and some not at all. It will run any games you can currently run with your integrated graphics.

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there, thanks for the reply, what can i do to upgrade this, could i buy another motherboard? what would it entail? many thanks again

Snippy

Snippy

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I reccomend just buying a new computer. Well , if you want to game then I reccomend buying a new computer. Like stettybet0 said you should go for the 1300

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Once you buy a new motherboard, chances are you discover you need new RAM, then a new processor, and before you know it you need a whole new system. If you want to play some newer games, then a new computer is the way to go. You can buy a pre-made computer from a company such as Dell, Gateway, or HP. Or you can save a lot of money and build your own. The big benefit to pre-made computers is that the work is done for you and it comes with a warranty so you don't have to worry if it doesn't work. If you think you are up to it, I strongly recommend building your own though.