Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why is Search limited to > 4 chars?!

• Please log in to reply

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi, I find it very frustrating that the Search function on the forums will not let you search for strings less than 4 characters long :tazz:

I appreciate this is probably to prevent large results being yielded (e.g. searching for 'the'), but it prevents me searching for common infections such as 'VX2', 'LOP' etc.

It appears that when a large result list is found, the search limits the results to 1000 anyway, so why not simply allow strings < 4 chars and also limit the results to 1000?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I agree this would be preferred. However, searching is one of the most server intensive processes run by a forum. Especially when dealing with large databases, and our database is currently 1.5GB. Also, there was no option to lower this limit in the version of the forum software that we're currently running, but it has been added to the new version. We'll try lowering it to 3 characters when we update later this week, and monitor the effects.

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hey admin, thanks for the reply :tazz:.

I appreciate the overheads in searching and I look forward to seeing how the trial goes with the new version.