Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will not boot from CD

• Please log in to reply

kyliepak

kyliepak

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hey guys

i have issues with my pc and want to reformat.

i have the XP CD and have reformatted before with no problems.

i have to hit the F8 key to access the cd boot.

ok now i have to reformat and do all as i have in the past, and now wen its saying Boot from CD, it will not boot, it goes straight to the windows flash and starts as normal.

i have gone into bios and changed it to boot from cd but it wil not read the disk.

i have no floppy either

i am fustrated lol

i am not sure of the info i need to give you, please any info will help cheers

kylie :)

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

1: Check the cd and make sure it is clean with no scratches. Use a lint-free cloth just to make sure.

2: Run a lense cleaner through the cd drive.

3: Is this the original XP cd you are using or a copy you or someone else made for you?

Murray

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Try using another bootable CD from another program to determine if its the CD or the drive.
Some CD's are funky with some drives.

kyliepak

kyliepak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hello

Murry - yes its the origianl XP disk and its all clean, i have ran a lense cleaner through aswell

123runner - its definarely not the cd drivr as wen i put the cd in it runs and opens, it will not boot from cd on start up

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. What is the make and model of your computer?

What does it say on the XP install cd?

Murray

kyliepak

kyliepak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
it says microsoft windows XP Home edition

and its an impact invader gamer

??

lol

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Is this computer custom built?

Never heard of the make you gave me.

Murray

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition.

Run it and attach the log file here (don't post it directly, attach it using the Browse and Upload buttons below the text input area).

That will give us the mother board information which may help.

kyliepak

kyliepak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thanks so far for all help

Report is attatched

cheers

kylie

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The mother board is a Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M. I looked at this manual: http://www.gigabyte....mp;FileID=16318 and it says you set the CDROM drive as the first boot device then save and exit.

You need to try your XP CD in another computer to make sure it will boot there. It really sounds like there is something wrong with it. Even if it opens when you insert it while XP is running, that does not mean it's bootable.

kyliepak

kyliepak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi

i have tested the cd on my laptop and its fine will load to recovery consloe, so i dont think its the cd

i went back into bios and changed all settings to boot from CD there were 4 settings so i changed all

still not booting from cd

cheers kylie

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You could try and download a Linux system onto a CD and attempt to boot it from that to see if the hardware works at all.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Excellent suggestion Will_00.

Kylie, try Puppy Linux. It's small so not a huge download. Boots quickly and works well on just about anything.

How is the CD connected to the system board? How are the jumper set, CS, Slave or Master and which connector on the IDE cable is it connected to? Is there another CD/DVD connected on the same cable and if so, how is it jumpered?

It sound like you only have problems with the CD when you try to boot from it, so the above stuff can make a difference.

You can also try going into BIOS Setup and loading defaults, save and exit then try it again.