Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 98SE Startup freeze

• Please log in to reply

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
When booting up my PC it runs normally until after it runs autoexec.bat. After running autoexec.bat the 2nd Win 98Se startup screen occurs the little blue bar at the bottom moves along and about 15 seconds later it just stops totally. I've tried waiting and when it takes over an hour it just got ridiculous and I gave up on it. I'm making a hypothesis here but, I think it's something wrong with the startup scripts windows has or windows is corrupted or there are drivers that are just bad... I know for sure it isn't the hard drive though as people claim to have this issue when their hard drive goes as I can get into Windows Safe Mode just fine but i'm restricted so that I can't do anything but be in safe mode. Any suggestions are welcome.

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
I hae a similar problem and have never resolved it. The work-around that I use is as follows (it may be worth a try until you get some better advice):

Boot up in safe mode and goto Start > Run and type in msconfig hit ENTER.

Click on Advanced and put a check against Enable Startup menu ( I am not on my 98se machine - this may be a little different. Reboot.

This will take you to the Startup options - select Logged ( second option down) If you have a similar problem to my own this should boot up and not hang.

The only thing is that you need to do this each time - but better than hanging. It is worth a try.

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks 1069 for the response. I've managed to find out something about this issue. I put my hard drive in a computer at school and it boots up just fine w/o needing to go into safe mode. I think it should help greatly in diagnosing the problem.

I tried your method but it's a no go. It still freezes at the same spot. It's driving me insane. >.>

Edited by Ryukishen, 07 November 2005 - 03:58 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Start in safe mode
What I put in blue is what you type what is in red is what you do
Go to start > run type in msconfig run
On the general tab click on selective startup untick config sys and autoexec.bat
click ok and reboot
Does this help?
Cheers
Peterm

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the reply Peterm. I already have them unticked. I've almost always had them unticked as they contain random programs which I don't exactly trust so it does me no good.

I've tried loading windows through dos prompt then I've run:

Scanreg /fix
Scanreg /restores
scandisk
chkdisk

I still can't get this [bleep] to go.

Edited by Ryukishen, 08 November 2005 - 05:27 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Go in to Dos and at the
C:> rename autoexec.bat autoexec.bak
reboot

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Still nothing man. Anymore suggestions?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
when you do the boot and F8 try the step by step mode

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the error, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service

Then report back

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks again for replying (No I will not donate blood to you >.> sry.). I tried that after I figured out it wouldn't start. It doesn't work as far as I know but i'll try it again and keep you posted on the current situation. My friend and I are going to drop Win XP on it to see if it'll rectify the situation, do you think it is a good idea?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
If your drive boots ok in another computer then your 98 setup would
not seem to be the problem.
1) Did you add any new devices or software or windows updates before this problem started?
2) when you get into safe mode right click on
my computer>properties>device manager.
Do any of the devices have a yellow exclamtion mark next to them?

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I attempted to install drivers for my Aureal Vortex 2 sound card by Turtle Beach and I managed to uninstall them but the problem still consists. It was the first thing i realized when it wouldn't boot up. I've tried in another computer a couple days ago. I actually brought it to school and plugged it into one of my school's computers. Works fine. It worked wonderfully. In device manager it seemed ok but there are quadruples and quintuples (i think that's how you say 3's and 4's) of each driver installed. I.E I have 4 ide controllers, 4 pci bus', 4 power switch, 3 floppy drive drivers, etc.

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm dropping XP on the thing to see if it'll work. I'll keep you posted.

Dropped Win XP onto the [bleep]. Still doesn't work and it's not even going into safe mode now. Gives me errors about the windows/system32/drivers director and yeah...

Dropped win xp on it again and it works. Now the problem here is that I can't get internet connectivity on it seeing as it likes to randomly crash.

Edited by Ryukishen, 10 November 2005 - 09:40 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Did you upgrade to xp or did you do a new install
If it was an upgrade you can roll it back if it was not an upgrade
What steps did you take to install xp

Windows XP includes the Uninstall Windows XP option in the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel if you upgraded from Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition, or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me). You can use this option to restore your previous version of Windows.

Edited by peterm, 11 November 2005 - 01:32 PM.

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I inserted win xp disc. It booted from that and began loading drivers. I then continued to proceed with install. What I chose was to upgrade but it said it was going to delete the C:\Windows directory, then it installed and worked and now i'm going to backup the data, format then Clean Install xp.