Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 NEC SATA DVD Incompatible

• Please log in to reply

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have rencently installed Windows 7 onto my HTPC

Mobo Abit AN-M2HD
CPU AMD AM2 4000+
2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM
Maxtor Diamond Max 23 250GB SATA HDD (System Boot Drive, Windows 7)
Maxtor Diamond Max 200GB IDE HDD
NEC Optiarc DL DVD RW

I had some real problems getting Win 7 on this machine, in the end I had to disconnect my SATA DVD Drive and use a standard IDE DVD Rom Drive to install Windows 7.
Now its all setup I recconnected my NEC Optiarc DL DVD RW however when I put in a DVD, either a Game or Video it it starts to read it but after a while it freezes the whole machine, if its a DVD it will play for about 10-15 secs (very choppy) and the freeze.
Once frozen I can CTRL ALT DEL to exit the application.

To test the drive I disconnected my 250GB SATA System Drive and installed Windows XP on my 200GB IDE HDD, it installed without a hitch and once all setup I was able to play a DVD no problems at.

This proves that the DVD itself works so there must some kind of hardware issue in Windows 7 the problem is how do I narrow it down.

It could be either that the SATA DVD drive is not compatible with the SATA HDD?
Or the SATA DVD drive is not compatible with windows 7

Any ideas or will I just have to stick with an IDE DVD drive? if so anyone recommend a good IDE to SATA adaptor, my mobo only has 1 x IDE port and due to the location of the DVD Drive and my spare IDE HDD I will not be able to run them both from the same port so will need to convert one of them to SATA.
:)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello JonnyAlpha...

I've been seeing this problem quite a bit lately and I'm not real sure what's causing it. I'm leaning towards a compatibility issue with some DVD drives' firmware.

Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update for your optical drive?

Have you tried running a different brand SATA optical drive in the machine?

The last few of these I've worked on, I ended up replacing the drives with new ones...and the issues immediately ceased.

wannabe1

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the response Wannabe1,

I had a couple of responses saying ditch the drive its U/S, but my tests prove that it works OK so I'm guessing some sort of compatibility issue too.
I had update the Firmware from 1.00 to 1.03 but this had no effect.

I can use the NEC in a XP machine in my workshop so looks like my only option is to replace the drive, any recommendations?

One thing in trying to sort this drive out I have managed to successfully setup a Dual Boot Windows XP and Windows 7 on two separate HDDs, many thanks to EasyBCD a fantastic piece of software, looks like I'll be making a PayPal donation.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

I can use the NEC in a XP machine in my workshop so looks like my only option is to replace the drive, any recommendations?

I use a lot of these ASUS drives. The price is good and they've proven very reliable. That being said, I haven't found many of the newer SATA drives that don't work well with Windows 7. The problems seem to be with just a few SATA optical drives that are more than just a couple years old.

Edited by wannabe1, 11 April 2010 - 05:44 PM.
Add link

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

I use a lot of these ASUS drives. The price is good and they've proven very reliable. That being said, I haven't found many of the newer SATA drives that don't work well with Windows 7. The problems seem to be with just a few SATA optical drives that are more than just a couple years old.

Did some scouring on the internet, wasn't sure about getting another Optiarc but the reviews looked good and according to MS the drive is OK with Windows 7:

http://www.play.com/...ve/Product.html

At £17.99 with free delivery its a bargain, supposed to be quiet as well.

Many thanks - Ill post back it its sill a problem.

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well my new Optiarc SATA AD-7241S DVD Drive arrived and is now installed and h=guess what still cant play DVD's.
Put in a DVD selected to play it in Windows Media Player and it starts to play first couple of seconds and the just freezes.
Have to exit the program using Task Manager.

So this may not be a hardware issue after all?? This DVD Drive is listed on the Microsoft web site as compatible!!!