Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Freezes on loading screen (moderate level)

• Please log in to reply

Flaresplitz

Flaresplitz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello I am trying to breath life into an old computer but I am having problems even booting its OS up! I am trying to run XP on it and it freezes on the load up screen for BOTH regular boot and safe mode boot. I have loaded up three different Hard drives with fresh new copies of XP and still gets stuck on the same screen. I have done chkdsk /r along with chkdsk /p. Everything passes and it says everything looks good :/. The little bar at the bottom of the loading screen will be moving and then stop(freezing the computer). All the fans are working on the computer...case, CPU, Graphics Card so I dont think its over heating. Even if is it should get stuck on the same exact spot..(i think >.>) Well if there are any suggestions out there please help me out...

Flaresplitz

Edited by Flaresplitz, 11 March 2010 - 06:47 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Well, if the very same things happens with 3 different drives, surely, there is nothing wrong with drives.

A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Flaresplitz

Flaresplitz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the response. The computer has two sticks of memory and I pulled one and started it. It beeps three times and nothing will pop up on the screen...hmm :/

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try the other one.

Flaresplitz

Flaresplitz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok I have tried to remove one at a time and it is still freezing..for some reason i am not getting 3 beeps any more. Im not getting any beeps anymore actually. I see that the mem is showing up in BIOS but Im not sure if that really means any thing.
Flaresplitz

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No beep means POST failure.
It could be many things: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Each time the computer boots up the computer must past the POST. Below is the common steps a POST performs each time your computer starts.

1. Test the power supply to ensure that it is turned on and that it releases its reset signal.
2. CPU must exit the reset status mode and thereafter be able to execute instructions.
3. BIOS checksum must be valid, meaning that it must be readable.
4. CMOS checksum must be valid, meaning that it must be readable.
5. CPU must be able to read all forms of memory such as the memory controller, memory bus, and memory module.
6. The first 64KB of memory must be operational and have the capability to be read and written to and from, and capable of containing the POST code.
7. I/O bus / controller must be accessible.
8. I/O bus must be able to write / read from the video subsystem and be able to read all video RAM.

Flaresplitz

Flaresplitz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ahh shoot...its more serious than I though. I checked all the cards slots and none of them are loose..I cant tell if there is a short...hmm what happens to be the next step..

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suspect, you may have motherboard issue, BUT I'm not a hardware guy after all.
Wait for hardware guys for more input.