Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update KB891861 failure

• Please log in to reply

jrauh

jrauh

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My laptop runs Windows 2000 and I am trying to download and install the latest critical windows update KB891861 (Update rollup 1 for SP4).

The update appears to download okay but installation then fails without any type of understandable error message. I use both Spybot and Lavasoft Ad-Aware and neither has detected anything that would seem to hinder the windows update installation.

It seems that the laptop has tried to install some of the update because now when I boot up I get an error related to "Autochk program is missing" autocheck was canceled. I also often encounter script errors when running Internet Explorer which seems to happen about the time the windows update installation failed.

This is driving me bonkers!! HELP!!

I have attached a screen shot of the windows update error and also a Hijackthis log if it is of any value.

Thanks,
JRauh

Attached Files

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Instead of going to "Windows Update" and download and installing.
Try download the exe directly from here..
And then install it.
I know it sounds stupid. But give it a shot. Might work.

jrauh

jrauh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Darth,

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the executable file as you suggested. When I tried to install it a setup error occurred. The error is when the .exe file is trying to install kernel32.dll. It says "C:\WINNT\system32\KERNEL32.DLL is open or in use by another application.

I closed everything I could think of but the same error occurred. Any ideas on how to find out what is using kernel32.dll?

Thanks,
JRauh

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I can't tell you what kernel32.dll is, but i you start the PC up in safe mode and try installing it then you might have better luck. Safe mode doesn't start any programs Windows doesn't need to operate effectively, it also won't load any unnecessary drivers. Choose regular safe mode, not safe mode with networking support or the other variant. To get to this option, restart your PC and press F8 when the white loading bar appears at the bottom of the screen.

Just make sure you save the file Darth had you download somewhere you can find it as safe mode won't allow you internet access to download it again.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Do you have a boot disk? You might be able to install it in DOS mode. If you open it with an editor (Wordpad or a hex editor) it will usually say whether it can be run in windows only.

jrauh

jrauh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, I was able to run the executable in safe mode. It looks like it worked correctly because after rebooting in normal mode and running Windows Update it did not tell me I needed to still install the KB891861 update.

However, upon bootup I am still receiving an error "autochk program not found, skipping autocheck". It looked like autochk.exe was one of the files in the KB891861 update but I don't know if by installing in safe mode somehow that file was not seen or is not being seen in normal mode.

Any ideas on what I should do to check this autochk error during bootup?

Thanks,
JRauh