Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP SP3 running slow & will not allow flashplayer

• Please log in to reply

munkishinz

munkishinz

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Good Morning..I have been given a HP Presario 2500 laptop with WindowsXP SP3 on it. It was sent to me from my nephew Matt after he returned from his deployment. It was full of sand and whatever, but he took it to the USAF base computer guru to fix it. They supposedly cleaned it and put new in it. But I found files, etc. all over the place and have had problems with it running since I received it. I'm so grateful for this computer because my husband is in last stages of Alzheimers and being the only caregiver, I rarely get out & the computer is my link to the outside world & my "escape." I have read many of the forums and solutions regarding XP and SP3. Yesterday I downloaded & ran Oldtimer and it seemed like it would actually work things out. I was following the instructions under the Posting of "win xp sp3 falling apart"and "Slooooooow Laptop; Can't view or Download Flash". I then downloaded and ran ERUNT. However, I received an error message and ERUNT couldn't complete running. I had Norton installed & I tried to uninstall it because I read somewhere that sometimes it gets messed up also, but it wouldn't completely uninstall and also had a error message. Then I was trying to uninstall Adobe and Adobe Flash players and Adobe uninstalled but Flash Player wouldn't. I was trying to take care of one of my grandsons & take care of my husband one wkend. & he was so bored (grandson) I let him play games on my computer. But I played games also & Im sure I have infected and received a million horses and viruses. I really want to fix the problems and have no idea how to even start anymore. I'm very stressed,I have memory loss due to a auto accident and neurosurgery, I'm getting older and would sure appreciate any help I could get. Thank you.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First lets try to get any infections cleaned up. Please follow the next steps and post in the Malware forum. Once they have declared you clean then return here and we will help you uninstall everything that malware tech didn't get to. We will also help in getting the newest versions of flash and adobe installed to make sure that is up to date.
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

munkishinz

munkishinz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Please forgive me. I do not know how to add a link and you are talking about things I do not understand. I think you mean for me to run all the software/malware that is listed and I have copied to my notebook. Then if the problems stop, type that information into that particular area and link it? to this??????? Then if it doesn't, I should also state how far I got with the malware issues and link it back and come back to this area again. I know I'm not smart, but Ireally appreciate your help. I had the hood of the auto come through my head and it messed up the "electro reponses" in my head is what my neurosurgeon said. I'm really good at cleaning and cooking and taking care of people. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem just copy and paste the below link in your topic for Malware along with the requested logs..

http://www.geekstogo...ml#entry1787364

munkishinz

munkishinz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Sir, I'm trying very hard to do what you suggest, but this Geeks site is like being in a Super Mall for the 1st time in your life and you get confused and turned around and forget where you started. I went to the Malware place that you told me to click on and I put a message, link, or something there and was so lost I didn't know if you could find it or I could get back here. I apologize sincerely and don't mind if you fall down laughing. I can't help it. This is a huge place and so many people sending messages and things and people from all over the world. OM Goodness-a fat little county granny could get lost!! :) The name of new thing is: My Problems, Windows XP, 2nd Hand Computer & Solutions and where ever it is I tried to tell you I can't get all the way through ERUNT. I also typed in my error messages. Do you want me to go away and never come back???? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Found it
http://www.geekstogo...ms-t271762.html
I understand it is confusing but we all are volunteers and understand how frustrating it can be when your system is not running correctly. Please be patient and the malware techs will give you very specific instructions. If they need any information they will message me and ask. We are here to help so please just relax as you have some of the finest help available online here.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Do you want me to go away and never come back????

Not until your computer is fixed and you are happy. But then you can come back to "hang out".

123runner

munkishinz

munkishinz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
:) I am never impatient especially if someone else is doing all they can to help me in anyway. I'm so sorry if it sounded that way. I'm not going anywhere and have all the time in the world. This is a awesome place and I was reading about people, techs, services, and all the things you do and was totally blowed away! :) It made me realize how insignificant 1 person's problem can be. :) I love my computer and if I was to get rich, (and that aint happening) I just have to try one of the new Apple things. I love to learn but wrestle with "keeping my memory stored." :) I appreciate you kindness and comments and patience with me. I have had my beauty/barber license for 30+ years, maybe you need a haircut???? (LOL)When I first got this computer and my nephew said they had cleaned it, I was looking around on the hard drive and found all kinds of stuff....pictures, excel spreadsheets, videos, music and things I don't need and it all belongs to him. He was supposed to have super cleaned it. Then my grandson gets on it one weekend and plays games until they come take him away. I ran AntiSuperSpy Ware and it found like 192 adwares after he left. So I don't know. I know the computer shouldn't have to be cleaned every 3-4 hours and it should have some safe gaurds somewhere. I figure I should be able to go to facebook without someone telling me I sent them a trojan horse. But what do I know? I'm just a little granny doing what I can. Thank you again - everyone for helping me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No worries as we are here till we have you running again one way or another.
We all do this because we like helping others and since we are all volunteers there is no stress of payment at the end. 123Runner and myself have been on topics that have taken over 300 posts to fix. Your problem even though it sounds hard is something we have seen before. We are simply going through the steps to make sure we are dealing with a tech issue or a infection issue.
Since it is apparent the system was not actually cleaned as you say then we are trying to fix something that may not be seen from the previous owner.

munkishinz

munkishinz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Is it ok if I contact you all tomorrow? I'm so tired and my fat body says "Honey, go to bed." OK? Thank you for all you've all done so far. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sure not a problem.