Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP cannot find profile on startup

• Please log in to reply

princessa

princessa

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi...the problem with my comp is during the startup ....it start up with everything okay until the part when I haf to click on my user profile name in order to log in...I clicked on it and it took quite a while to load and suddenly 1 small window pop up saying it cannot find the profile and will be using a temp profile to log in and changes made during that time will be lost when log out...So it just log me in ...everything on my desktop change....my wallpaper change, my position of my desktop shortcuts some gone some change....and the xp tour thing pop out...it just seem like u just install xp ...

I got panic and restart the comp hoping everything goes back to normal...but it did not...And i just do a system restore then finally everything back to normal...Im afraid that when i shut down this time...same thing will happen again...

Can anyone help me please ?

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
For various reasons, it sometimes happens that a user account becomes damaged. Often the experience you had is a sign that the account is in trouble. BUT. It is only that account, not the whole system. It is not really hard to switch over to a new account.

1. Start up in Safe Mode and log into the overall System ADMINISTRATOR account. Most of us have an account with Admin rights, but there is also an account named Administrator. In XP Home that may only be found in Safe Mode. As the very first screen starts up after pushing the power button, begin pressing F8 twice a second until you get a black screen with white writing. One of the lines will be highlighted. Use the arrow keys to move the highlighting to Safe Mode and then press Enter.

2. Once the desktop is loaded (It will look primitive-all normal) open the User Accounts applet of the Control Panel and create a new account with Admin rights.

3. While still in the ADMINISTRATOR account, open Documents and Settings. There you will find both your 'old' user account and the new one. Double click the 'old' named account, go to Edit up at the top, and Select All. Then hold down the Ctrl key and left click:
•Ntuser.dat
•Ntuser.dat.log
•Ntuser.ini
This will clear them of highlighting. Then right click a portion that is still highlighted, and choose copy.

4. Close the 'old' name and open the new account folder. Right click and choose Paste. Windows will say that there are already files and folders with those names in there. Do you want to replace them? This time--Yes to all...

5. When done copying, reboot your computer and log into the new account. It will be just like your old one, but won't give you trouble. Later, after you are sure that everything is OK, you can delete the 'old' account from User Accounts in the Control Panel.

Here is the official Microsoft explanation: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811151

Edited by 1101doc, 24 November 2007 - 11:17 PM.

Zazu

Zazu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Does the same procedure apply to XP and does the Microsoft Outlook file need to be transferred seperately?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Zazu.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)
I suggest you start a new topic in the Email Browser forum.
This topic is over a year old and I highly doubt you are going to get any assistace responding here.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

robert.wiechert

robert.wiechert

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
It should, those files contain the settings, configuration data, Documents and Settings folder (which includes info about your MS Outlook files) for that specific user account.

Poet

Poet

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I renamed the affected user account to the exact same name it already had and the user was able to logon just fine, without needing to copy files.

nightarcher

nightarcher

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I've been having this same issue with a very problematic twist. The user account in question is my administrator account. Is there any way of fixing this?