Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP logs In Then Immediately Logs Off

• Please log in to reply

NuttySquirrel

NuttySquirrel

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hey all,
I recently did a boot time scan with Avast. Now when I try to log in to a user on my system I see my background for a quick second and then it logs back off. I was following the instructions in this thread but I don't see a wsaupdater.exe listed. When I try running the following command:
dir > apps.txt c:\windows\system32\*.exe
I get a message saying that the parameter is invalid, no matter what directory I'm in. Just tried this command with the computer I'm currently typing on and it worked.
Thank you for any assistance.

*EDIT*

Well, I got it working after researching the forums a bit! Just looked at this thread and did the following command:

d:
cd i386
expand userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
exit

and now I can log in without any problems. The mods can go ahead and delete this thread if they'd like to.

Edited by NuttySquirrel, 31 March 2009 - 02:57 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
NuttySquirrel,

Thanks for keeping us updated glad it worked for you.

*adds this thread to his need to know in future list.

delta14

delta14

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Nutty Squirrel,
I tried several fixes, but yours did it for me.
If your in LA, I'll buy you a cold one or two....
Drop me a line.
Thanks again,
Delta14

Tsunami317

Tsunami317

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hey all,
I recently did a boot time scan with Avast. Now when I try to log in to a user on my system I see my background for a quick second and then it logs back off. I was following the instructions in this thread but I don't see a wsaupdater.exe listed. When I try running the following command:
dir > apps.txt c:\windows\system32\*.exe
I get a message saying that the parameter is invalid, no matter what directory I'm in. Just tried this command with the computer I'm currently typing on and it worked.
Thank you for any assistance.

*EDIT*

Well, I got it working after researching the forums a bit! Just looked at this thread and did the following command:

d:
cd i386
expand userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
exit

and now I can log in without any problems. The mods can go ahead and delete this thread if they'd like to.

Nutty Squirrel- If I boot to the XP disk and do everything you suggest above (i.e. Repair using recovery console, go to the C://Windows prompt and then enter the commands above), will it erase my hard drive? If so is there anyway for me to either remove my harddrive while I make this repair, or back it up without being able to log into my computer. Background: I ran Mcafee virus scan in safe mode, and quarantined and removed several files and now when I try to login it says it's "saving user settings" and then immediately logs me out and loops back to the login screen, so it sounds like this might be the fix I'm looking for, however I have a lot of data I cannot risk losing saved on my hard drive. Thanks so much!

Robot-Scott

Robot-Scott

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey All,

What's even scarier about this virus/malware/windows security hole is that even after slapping an acronis image of Windows XP back on my OS drive, the malware came right back the same day with the log out/log in loop. Anyone know the exact malware that is causing this yet?

@Nutty Squirrel - I will try your solution tonight

gkja

gkja

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Nutty Squirrel's solution worked for me today (even using an OEM CD).

Lots of thanks and good karma to you!