Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows can't start!

• Please log in to reply

beckyboo55

beckyboo55

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Last night I turned on my laptop and it loaded fine, apart from the internet. I restarted the computer (which usually fixes this problem)
However I found a screen that said 'windows did not shut down properly and there may be damage.' It then gave me a list of options including start normally or start in safe mode. Which ever I click it then takes me to the black windows xp load screen and then restarts the computer and presents me with the same screen. I've tried pressing f8 and trying to boot in safe mode & all the others.

Any help would be appreciated as I desperatly need my laptop for Uni work!
Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi beckyboo55...

Do you have (or have access to) an XP cd of the same version you have installed? What we need to do requires Recovery Console...which is available on the cd. If you don't have an XP cd, I can link you to a Recovery Console download. It would be best to use the XP cd, though.

wannabe1

beckyboo55

beckyboo55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi wannabe1..
No I do not have an XP disc, the link would be useful thanks :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download RC.ISO and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning toy like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for your operating system.

Once you have burned this as an ISO image, insert the CD into the drive, and then restart the computer. Watch for the prompt to "Press any key to boot from cd" and press the spacebar when you see it. You may have to change the boot priority in BIOS Setup to accomplish this...we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.

When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console...by number (usually 1)
When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If you have not set an administrator password, leave it blank and just press "Enter".
At the Recovery Console command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (note the space before /r)

This will begin a very long check of the file system...be patient. It may appear to hang or even back up a few times...this is normal. Once the check completes, type exit and press "Enter". The machine will restart...let it try to boot normally...do not boot to the cd this time.

Let me know if this gets you back into Windows.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi beckyboo55,

Sorry about intruding into your topic. I wanted to leave this --> http://www.geekstogo...so-t177035.html <-- for wannabe1.

Hi wannabe1,

Would you mind checking that topic out, I didn't wanna junk up this one with my question.

Thanks,

Wendy

beckyboo55

beckyboo55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
Just to let you know it worked :)
Thanks a lot,
x

wannabe1