Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Windows firewall enough ?

• Please log in to reply

huffty

huffty

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

I am running with AVG 9.0 free edition AV, is Windows firewall enough or should I put something like Zonealarm in ?

Many thanks

Steve

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Sunbelt firewall is a good firewall, I would disable Windows firewall and use that instead

huffty

huffty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks Rorshach112 I will have a look at that.

Steve

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
And to answer your original question in the title, no, Windows Firewall is definitely not good enough; mainly because it monitors traffic in one direction only. That means you've no idea what's being sent from your PC (or when). All third-party firewalls monitor traffic in both directions.

huffty

huffty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Many thanks Phillip, I did not know that. I will be putting on a third party firewall.

huffty

huffty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I downloaded Sunbelt firewall but the install was interupted and it hanged, I could not cancel so I crashed the PC. Restarted the computer and tried to reinstall, but it comes up with an error message that its already installed,

Although the sunbelt folder is present in the programs folder, it is not listed in my programs or in add/remove software, I do not think its installed or running. I deleted the sunbelt folder in programs files and tried to re install but it still stops with an error that its already installed.

Any idea how to solve this ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Of the free firewalls available, I can personally recommend 'Comodo Firewall'.
It is actually integrated into a Firewall+Antivirus package called 'Comodo Internet Security'
which is also free - unique amongst the current crop of Internet Security suites, I believe.

One good feature about the installer is that you can choose to install just the firewall, just the antivirus, or both. I've been using both for 6-months and it works flawlessly with very few pop-up messages to deal with. For the most part it works in the background, even the antivirus updates don't intrude.

http://www.comodo.co...et-security.php

If you do install it, remember to turn off the Windows Firewall because, unlike some third-party firewalls, Comodo Firewall doesn't turn it off for you.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 12 January 2010 - 02:57 PM.

huffty

huffty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thank you for all the good advice, and the Revo uninstaller, it worked a treat.

On the stregnth of what I have read here and the reviews on the software section of this forum I am thinking of trying comodo firewall with avast av. I hope they will be compatible.

Thanks again guys, great forum.

Steve

Edited by huffty, 13 January 2010 - 04:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great to know Revo Uninstaller did the trick. Thanks for letting us know. :)

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I also run Comodo plus avast! 5 Beta :) Works flawlessly.
Please note that the Comodo firewall installation also includes an Anti-virus program, if you decide to choose another anti-virus (not Comodo), then please be sure to only install the firewall, you will be prompted during installation if you want to install just the firewall, or the firewall and the anti-virus.