Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows recovery

• Please log in to reply

jshearer

jshearer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer has been down for a long time I finally got around to buying the hardware I needed to fix it and went about to get it going, but I need to reinstall windows. I recently moved and the windows cd was in the computer the case with the product key on it was lost and I have no way to get it. How can I find the key that is already installed. I can get to a DOS prompt but can not load up windows so the Start menu ways will not work. I do not want to have to buy another copy, seeing as I already own a legitimate copy.

HELP PLEASE.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jshearer...Welcome to G2G!

I am assuming by your description that this is a legal copy of Windows XP

As long as you have the disk for the version of Windows installed on your machine, you can find your product key a couple of different ways. As you can't boot into Windows, you will have to do it from the dos prompt...the instructions for doing that can be found here...

http://personal-comp...2/v15/vic15.htm

If you can boot into windows, Click Start > Run and type regedit and click OK. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWSNT\CURRENTVERSION in the left pane...your product key should be, but is not always. listed in the right pane.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 August 2005 - 07:49 PM.

jshearer

jshearer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the welcome. I will try what that site said. My copy of Windows is a legal legitimate copy only installed on one PC, which is why I want my key(I am definately going to keep track of it this time). Thanks for the help and I will let you know if it works out. I don't have a floppy drive though so it may be a week or so. I guess I will have to buy one. It is like going back into the past. :tazz:

nsmitchell

nsmitchell

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Magic Jellybean keyfinder will spit out your XP Serial number.

Magic Jellybean

:tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi again jshearer

I can get to a DOS prompt but can not load up windows so the Start menu ways will not work.

You can download a bootable cd startup here: http://www.bootdisk.com/

Try the method described in the link on my first post...scroll down to the Windows XP section. It walks you through the recovery from the dos prompt.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 August 2005 - 08:16 PM.