Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Does not Detect DVD RW Drive

• Please log in to reply

Jaffe Joffer

Jaffe Joffer

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

Windows XP is not detecting my new DVD drive. It is a Liteon SOHW-1673S. The device manager doesn't show anything. I notice that during boot-up, my BIOS detects the drive on the Secondary IDE Master. But windows refuses to recognize. Anybody got ideas?

P.S. I reason I got the new drive was b/c I was having the same problem w/ the old drive. I my knowledge, jumpers are correct and powers in etc...

Thanks in advance

Jaffe

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
go into device manager, see if the drive is listed there.
if it is, right click it and select uninstall. reboot the machine, windows should detect the drive and configure it.

if that doest work, post back with what is the master device on that cable, as well as make/model of your computer. if custom built, list the make/model of your motherboard.

Jaffe Joffer

Jaffe Joffer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
audioboy,

The drive is not listed in the Device Manager

The New LiteOn 1673S is the master. The old CD RW drive is the slave (made by Norcent)

I opened the case to see what the MotherBoard is and I got this number of it, KNA2302904 AN11. I looked around on the internet using that number and I believe the board is probably an "FIC AN11 Stealth Socket A Motherboard." It looks exactly like the picture on this website http://www.pcstats.c...?articleID=1004

J

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the link you posted didnt work, but I dug around and I think I found the right thing. is this it?

to make sure I understand correctly, the new dvd is the secondary master, and the old cdr is the secondary slave yes? can you see the cdr in windows?

if you could double check the jumpers on those 2 drives, make sure they are set for dvd as master and cdr as slave, it would be good to confirm it.

Jaffe Joffer

Jaffe Joffer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
audioboy,

Yes that is the motherboard.

Yes the new dvd is the secondary master, and the old cdr is the secondary slave.

I cannot see the cdr in windows "my computer" or the device manager.

I double checked the jumpers. The new DVDRW is master and the CDRW is the slave.

J

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
so you cant see either of those drives in windows?

go back to device manager, make sure the secondary IDE controller is activated and working.

are you sure both of those drives are being detected in bios? have a look in there, confirm the drives are recognized properly, and that the secondary IDE channel is active as well.

also check the IDE cable is seated firmly into the mobo.

Jaffe Joffer

Jaffe Joffer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I can't see either of the drives in windows.

Secondary IDE Channel reads "This device is working properly."

I rebooted again. In the Bios, only the DVDRW master is detected, the CDRW slave is not.

I re-chcecked the cable connection to the mother board. It is A-ok.

J

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
try disconnecting the CDR completely. you said it was acting up before, and is not being recognized now. disconnecting it may get the dvd to recognize and install.

do you have any other IDE cables? I would be curious to try swapping that out if you do.

Jaffe Joffer

Jaffe Joffer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes that did it! The drive detected as soon as I unplugged the old drive. I guess the old drive is garbage?

J

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
yeah, looks like the cdr died. it happens sometimes. fortunately they are fairly cheap to replace.

glad the DVD is working.

draumr

draumr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am adding to the thread because I am having a similar issue - I replaced the CDRW drive in my friends dell 4600c and it is not in the device manager - I am a bit of a novice, but I thik some changed something in the bios - can anyone direct me in the steps to take.

Thanks

Draumr

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi draumr,
do you still need help with this?

best bet is to start a new thread. heres a couple things to check- are the jumper settings on the new drive matching the old?
when you boot the PC, do you see the drive listed in the primary/ secondary master/slave prompts? where the PC lists what is currently detected in the machine...
this is quite possibly a jumper setting issue, but if you need some help, start a new thread and we'll get you going!

draumr

draumr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
problem solved - thanks