Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Installation problems

• Please log in to reply

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi,

I've had some problems with Windows XP installation. I've tried to boot off the cd and it doesn't boot. It tries to boot off the cd, and it doesn't do it successfully and then boots off the hard-drive. and reads something like NRDTL or something and then says press "Crtl+Alt+Delete". I not really sure what happened because I've installed it before on this machine. PLEASE HELP!!! If I don't fix,then my parents will beat me! Just kidding,but the consequences won't be pretty.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The error you saw as probably "NTLDR missing or corrupt". NTLDR is short for 'NT Loader' and this is a vital system file for booting into an installed XP or booting into XP setup from a CD.

Check the data cable to the CD drive you're trying to boot from is securely attached to both the motherboard and the drive itself.

It's also not impossible for the CD itself to be damaged. Trying it on another PC (without actually allowing it to install anything, of course) would be a good way of confirming if the CD is okay or not. Just remember to first check the BIOS setting on the 'test' PC and change the first boot device to CD-ROM if necessary. I think this possibility of CD damage needs to be confirmed or eliminated first before you start looking for other solutions (other than checking the data cable).

Edited by pip22, 01 January 2007 - 04:21 AM.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Crap! I took the back off the computer and the cable that runs from the CD drive to the motherboard is securely attached. I also tried the cd on another computer, and it booted up just fine. I need to look for some other solutions!

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
YES! I found the problem. It was the optical drive. Luckily I had a spare one, so now the XP CD boots. This topic can be closed.