Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows is corrupted

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I've got Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 and my computer for the last few days has been giving a lot of problems. The Windows Disk Defragmenter says completed defragmenting after a few minutes of starting it and the system keeps restarting after a bunch of hours. Now since the last time it restarted, it hasn't started up. The 'Microsoft Windows XP' splash logo screen comes and it loads that normally but after that just a black screen appears and it doesn't proceed further. It starts up in safe mode though. Also I ran memtest and it showed no errors. And when I run 'sfc /scannow', within a few seconds the entire bar completes which I've never seen before. I did have a virus about a week back but it got cleared out. I have Avast! anti virus and use Trend Micro online scan once in way(used it to clear out the virus too). Please help.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Best course of action first is to post a HijackThis log to this forum (read the "pinned" posts at the top first) to check for any other malware infection:
http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hi :whistling:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). Courtesy dsenette
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I managed to get my computer to boot up by selecting the option 'last known good configuration' by pressing F8 during boot up. I ran Sypot S&D destroy and it detected some spyware, i cleaned it out ran it again and now its clean. I'm in the process of running Trend Micro online scan and after that will do the 'chkdsk /r' as you said to do. However I'd like to know would I lose any data or system settings by running this? Thanks for the help.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
No you will not. It is perfectly safe and it scans the hard drive for any disk errors and fixes them.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I ran the chkdsk /r and I've attached a photo shot of what the result was. Have a look and let me know how to proceed please.

Attached Thumbnails

• SP_A0130.jpg

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
The volume has been fixed.

How is the PC running now?

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ok so that means my hard drive had errors on it? Should I run a Seagate disk diagnosis too? Well, the PC seems to be working fine, to be honest it's working quite a bit faster. However the sfc /scannow still doesn't seem to be working properly. When I try to run sfc /scannow it completes the scan within 30 - 50 seconds and doesn't ask for the Windows XP Home Edition CD either.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
No. It probably needed to run a chkdsk when you got SP2. It is nothing serious. If you want, you can run the diagnosis if you want, but the harddrive probably just needed to fix errors. It is not bad sectors. The sfc scan probably completes because you do not need any files replaced.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Today morning while I was out my computer had restarted. When I got back I saw 'Windows has recovered from a serious error.' and I had the option of sending a error report to Microsoft. When I went into computer management > system tools > event viewer > system..I had a System error at 10 39AM which I'm guessing is the time the computer restarted due to something. When I opened up the error I got:

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 704f4ccd, parameter3 a6f02c5c, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

It is not the RAM, I do not think so, I've run memtest for hours without errors. What else can it be? Are the Windows system files still corrupted? Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Apply this action first:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Wait for the BSOD at anytime, than post all information here.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Here is what the BSOD error showed.

DSCN0341.JPG

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hey there.

Have a look Here.

Any chance that you have a floppy drive so we can check your RAM?

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Well, yes I do have a floppy drive although I have checked my RAM many times with memtest86 and it shows no errors. How many hours do you reckon I run the test for? I downloaded the new driver for my video card and will be installing that today, since this problem could be related to a hardware driver it might resolve the problem, I don't have much hope on it though. Is there any way of checking what hardware drivers I've installed recently. Like something showing the date each driver was installed?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hey again.

I would recommend running the test overnight.