Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Problems after Upgrade DSL 1.5Mbps to 12Mbps

• Please log in to reply

utbronco

utbronco

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am running Windows XP Home Addition and have an Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG Network Card on my Dell Inspiron E1705

I just upgraded my DSL service from 1.5Mbps to 12Mbps with Qwest and received a free Netopia 3347-02 Modem/Router. It is installed and working however when using Wireless it is coming in just about 1.6Mbps and when switched to Ethernet it is just under 12Mbps. I can't figure out what needs to be changed to allow for the full 12Mbps. The Laptop is two feet away from the Modem/Router

I have another Laptop in the house, an IBM with an Intel Pro Wireless 2200 card and it is showing the same slow speed in Wireless mode.

Any thoughts or ideas??

Thanks a lot!!!
Dave

Advertisements

utbronco

utbronco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Additional Information,,, I hooked up with Fixya.com and paid $15.00 bucks to work online with someone that said they were a Network Engineer. He put me through some paces, stopping WEP security and changing to channel 11 on the Network Card. After all was said and done he told me that running a 12Mbps DLS Line to a wireless Laptop would probably only see about a 1.5Mbps speed and that I should use the Ethernet Connection to get close to the 12Mbps speed. I guess that is ok but what do I do about the other Laptop in the house that does not have Ethernet capability?? I guess that one is S--- Out of Luck.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dave

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
The "Network Engineer" that you paid 15.00 to is wrong, there is something wrong or not set right with your connections. Try going to Speedguide.net and downloading the TCP/IP Optimizer and see if it helps to increase your speeds. It really boosted mine on my wireless connection. I don't have a 12Mbps connection but I do have a 7Mbps, before I used the optimizer I was stuck at around 2Mbps, after I optimized I consistently get 6-7 Mbps.

utbronco

utbronco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you so much for turning me onto the optimizer!!! I am up to almost 7mbps from 3.5. That was an outstanding change!!! It still isn't as fast as my Ethernet but this will be an awesome tool for the other Laptop in the house that is strictly Wireless!!!
Thanks Again!!
Dave