Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Card Cannot Istall: Incompatible?

• Please log in to reply

jabulani_jonny

jabulani_jonny

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Let me start by saying a big thank you for the amazing resource that this website is. This is my first post, but I've been visiting for a while just gleaning all the information I can. I did search on this topic but didn't find a thread where it was actually answered. So...here's the situation.

About a week ago I replaced a faulty LCD inverter. I had to dissassemble most everything to get to it. After which, the laptop wouldn't recognize the mini-PCI wireless card that had been installed on it. I was getting a error stating "Incompatible Driver: Cannot load application." Mind you, this card came with the laptop and has been working perfectly ever since I got it. While replacing the inverter I did have to detach the antennae from the wireless care, but I hooked them back up upon reassembly.

So, I went to the Acer website to check for an updated driver. Downloaded it, no dice, same error. Also, in my hardware manager it's not recognizing it under network adapters. It got to the point that with the wireless card installed the computer would lock up and sometimes not even boot. Right after lock up I would check my Event Viewer: Application and I would have the X by the WLTRSVC.exe, which is my wireless systray service. This is supposed to start automatically to detect the card and any possible network connections. For the time being I went into services and made this manual instead of automatic to keep the computer from locking up.

I have tried uninstalling the card and the driver, then rebooting, but still get the same error. It's hard for me to believe that the hardware would be causing this now, but I want to make sure that I rule out all options before I purchase a new card and find out that it does the same thing.

So right now, I've got the drivers installed but set to manual in services. The card is installed. My launch manager, the button on the top panel, says wireless doesn't exist. How can I trouble shoot this to find out what's causing the problem?

System Specs:
Acer Aspire 1710
P4 2.8ghz, Northwood
1gb Corsair PC3200
Seagate 80gb 7200 HD
WinXP SP2
Litestep (shell)

Thank You!!

Jonathan

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go Jonathan! :tazz:

About a week ago I replaced a faulty LCD inverter. I had to disassemble most everything to get to it.

You're braver than I. I'll dig into any desktop, but try to avoid anything that requires tearing into a laptop.

Troubleshooting is often just determining what happened between the time something worked, and when it didn't. Sounds like the only change was your disassembly, and assembly of the laptop. You may want to try retracing your steps to see if your missed anything. If your confident you didn't, it seems trying another card would be in order. Maybe someone more familiar with this laptop will have something to add.

jabulani_jonny

jabulani_jonny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well the nice thing is that this "laptop" uses desktop components, except for the mini-pci, so it's just about the same. It's really a desktop replacement rather than a laptop. At 15lbs, this tank takes up more than your lap!