Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless networks: 2 Problems

• Please log in to reply

Azealzel

Azealzel

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Allright, first of all I will briefly describe my hardware setup back here in my house.

We have a router, wireless. My computer is a P4 2GHz on XP Pro SP1 is connected by wireless. The other computer is a P2 300MHz on XP Pro SP1 too. However, it is wired to the LAN.

Here is a list the LAN hardware.
On the P4, there is a Linksys Wireless-B PCI Card.
On the P2, there is a D-Link Ethernet PCI Card.
The router is a Network Everywhere (cheap Linksys) Wireless and Wired Router.

Here is my first problem.
I can't fix my LAN so that both computer communicate together. I can't access the other computer's files, the scanner and the printer. I've heard I should add another Access Point, what is that, how can I make it work.

Here is my second problem.
I can't keep a high rate download without my computer going down or even worst, the connection is lost. I've been to the event viewer in my admin tools, and it is said there is a DHCP Warning number 1003 and 1007 that repeats itself often and sometimes a DHCP Error number 1002.

My hypothesis' is that my router really sucks, that my power supply ain't powerful enough, that my ISP is bad or even better, that wireless is a bad way of transmitting data.

To those hypothesis, I found that my ISP is really good, called Videotron, cable connection, all across Quebec in Canada. Stays the last three option or something I haven't eluded. So, can you help me fix these.

Thanks alot,
Laurent Pilon

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
are you using private ip or public IPs? can you ping each other by ip? posting the result of ipconfig may help. or check this step by step troubleshooting page, http://howtonetworki...ccessibale0.htm

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Might be to simple, but did you tell the XP machines to share?

Check the firewalls, make sure there's not something blocking your access.

I'd check the sharing first though :tazz:

Azealzel

Azealzel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The network is quite secondary, I must admit. I want my connection to stop dropping. I thought of resetting my router to factory settings.

Here's my ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : moi-cbthsbb74n6
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Instant Wireless-B PCI Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-41-8C-3B-12
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 27 mai, 2005 11:06:32
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 28 mai, 2005 11:06:32

I didn't had ip routing enabled and my node wasn't defined, so I tweaked em in the registry. Nothing better. My connection went up to 350 kb/s and started falling, disconnected and reconnected, restarting the pattern.

Does this give you any hint of what may be my problem?

Edited by Azealzel, 27 May 2005 - 09:11 AM.

Azealzel

Azealzel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Small update: After changing IP routing, node type, installing all networking devices immaginable, I finally got able to share printers and access documents on my network. Good thing done. Still the main problem ain't resolved.