Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't startup properly!

• Please log in to reply

joeiznogood

joeiznogood

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hey GtG

i have a dell dimension 4500 and since yesterday night it just won't start up into windows! i restarted my computer after running some anti-spyware programs, ad-aware and so on, and then when it started up it got to the windows xp screen and stayed there for some minutes... I then turned it off on the power button, and turned it back on and it started up to that screen where u can select to start safe mode (with or without networking and commandoprompt), last working setting or start widnows normally. Í just selected start normally, but then it started up and the log in screen wouldn't appear only the blue background. then i had to restart it and it did this same thing a couple of times, then i tried running safe mode with networking and that worked fine so i reset my compter to and earlier time that day using system restore and when i started it up normally it still wouldnt work! So i turned it off AGAIN, and that was where the BIG problem started, the pc goes to the selection screen described earlier and no matter which one you select it starts up and you only get a fraction of a second glimpse at a blue screen where it has a message on it (not a blue screen of death by the way) and then it reboots itself and goes back to the selection screen.

i got pretty pissed off as you might guess, so i took a break from it but that didnt help, unfortunately :tazz:, so i ran whats called the "Dell Diagnosis" thing or something which is on a separate little partition made by dell (36 mb or something) and it came up with the following results:

Test Errors
IDE Disk 0 - Confidence Test : Fail
Result Code: 0F00-1344
Msg: Block 6364366: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

IDE Disk 0 - Confidence Test : Fail
Msg: Block 141964975: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

IDE Disk 0 - Read Test : Fail
Result Code: 0F00-0244

IDE Disk 0 - Read Test : Fail

IDE Disk 0 - Verify Test : Fail
Result Code: 0F00-1A44

IDE Disk 0 - Verify Test : Fail

IDE Disk 1 - Confidence Test : Fail
Msg: Block 4673326: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

IDE Disk 1 - Read Test : Fail

Msg: Block 56731278: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

Msg: Block 66090703: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

IDE Disk 1 - Verify Test : Fail

Msg: Block 56731278: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

Msg: Block 66090703: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

Also when i run something called "IDE drive diagnostics" it comes up with an error message for each of my two drives saying "Fail. Return code: 7".

I have tried everything i can think of without actually getting into windows... HELP ME!!! PLEASE!!!

Thanks a lot in advance,

Joe.

P.s. Windows XP doesn't have a Dos look-a-like that you can run without gettin into windows does it?

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
that is a weird problem, but you seem to have some bad sectors that effected the operation of the Windows.
do you have the Win XP CD? boot for that CD and do a Repair, that should repair your installation.

joeiznogood

joeiznogood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks samiko,

i do have a win xp cd and i have just tried to run the repair thing but it just opens something that looks like DOS, and then what? I can't dir C: nor can i see any of the partitions on my second drive, but the second partition on my first drive i can see everything on... but what do i do then?

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
type chkdsk /f /r

this will try to search and fix any errors on your HDD

joeiznogood

joeiznogood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks a lot saminko!!! it works now! Thanks a lot, i just need to get rid of a spyware problem and my computer will be back to normal! Thanks :tazz:

acrulz

acrulz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have this same problem but I don't think I have this Windows XP cd. Is there any way around it without the CD?

Please help thanks.

jen_st

jen_st

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I have the same problem as above but don't have a recovery cd. I have tried the XP installation disk but the system won't boot from it. I have created a DOS bootable cd and can boot from that. When I run chkdsk /f /r it says that /r is invalid. If I just run chkdsk /f it just reports back on the dos partition. Is there any way I can get into the hard drive to retrieve the data?!
Thanks,
Jen

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: jen_st

Please start your own topic as this topic is a year and a half old and I doubt there will be any assistance given.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.