Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 97

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Hi, guys.

Yes, I know Word 97 is old but I still use it. Too cheap to shell out the big bucks Microsoft wants for 07. Anyway, Word 97 has run flawlessly all these years until this week when I tried to print a doc. My printer spits out a blank page. I have run every troubleshooter I can find on the web and nothing works. My printer is an HP 882c. My computer is running XP SP3.

I have renamed normal.dot.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office 97 (twice)
I have deleted the "data" entry in Word in the registery.

I can print from other apps so I do not think it is the printer.

Any help at all is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by tjmcs, 07 October 2009 - 05:02 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not sure if I'll be muc

h help, but...Now, lets say Word works fine most of the time but in one particular document, every time you try to print or browse past a certain point, Word locks up or crashes. This is an indicator that there may be corruption within one of the paragraph markers or in the final paragraph marker of the document. To display your paragraph markers, look for the icon on your Standard toolbar that looks like a paragraph marker (or a backwards P) and click on it. This will show the paragraph markers at the end of each paragraph or wherever you hit the Enter key to drop down a line. Highlight the paragraph marker at the end of whatever paragraph you suspect to be corrupt and delete it. This will remove any special paragraph formatting that was applied to that paragraph and remove the corruption with it. If your entire document appears to be corrupt (fonts are all screwy or graphics are displaying strangely or it is giving you sporadic error messages), the best way to try to save the data is to highlight all of the document EXCEPT the final paragraph marker and copy it and paste it into a new blank document. A large percentage of document corruption is stored in the final paragraph marker in a document and sometimes just putting it into a new document and leaving that paragraph marker behind fixes it.

That's from Troubleshooting Word

It's also suggested to uninstall/reinstall since Wored 97 doesn't have the detect/repair. After uninstalling, MS recommends this utility:

Eraser utilities for both Office 97 and Office 2000

Can you see the Word file in Print Preview? Have you tried selecting the Print operation from Print Preview?

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Major Payne,

I have uninstalled/reinstalled Office 97 to no avail. I have tried your suggestions. I can see the document in Print Preview but it does not print. Eraser 97 does not support my program. It is Office 97 Small Business Edition.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Dumb question.

When I use the Office Removal Tool, will it also remove Outlook Express? I use Outlook Express 6.