Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Administrator account problems

• Please log in to reply

tom141414

tom141414

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have been having a problem recently that whenever i try to install some programs and games on my pc i get a message saying something like you need to have administrator priviledges or something similar to that. I have checked and i do have admin. priviledges. I looked it up and found out that it might need to be in the root admin account to work but on my cousins pc he doesnt have to be in the root account(on the same program installations). I am not sure what i can do to fix this but if you have any knowledge of how to fix this any input would be gladly accepted. Thanks.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You go to the control panel, administrative tasks, and log in as administrator before making any changes to your system. You have to be logged in.

TestyTech

TestyTech

• Pip
  • 8 posts
A recent patch to Windows XP now requires the ability to view/edit the security logs on your system to allow anything using the MSI 3.0+ to install an application. To test if you can view the security logs goto the Computer Management: Start ->Control Panel ->Administrative Tools... and click on the Event Viewer and then Security tab if you are denied access you can correct this as follows:

run gpedit.msc

under Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings ->Security Settings-> Local Policies-> User Rights Assignment-> Manage Auditing and Security Log

Add your user account or better yet the group your user account is in. Reboot or relog your account.

If this doesn't work try downloading the latest SP and updating MSI to the latest version MSI 3.1

TestyTech

TestyTech

• Pip
  • 8 posts
A recent patch to Windows XP now requires the ability to view/edit the security logs on your system to allow anything using the MSI 3.0+ to install an application. To test if you can view the security logs goto the Computer Management: Start ->Control Panel ->Administrative Tools... and click on the Event Viewer and then Security tab if you are denied access you can correct this as follows:

run gpedit.msc

under Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings ->Security Settings-> Local Policies-> User Rights Assignment-> Manage Auditing and Security Log

Add your user account or better yet the group your user account is in. Reboot or relog your account.

If this doesn't work try downloading the latest SP and updating MSI to the latest version MSI 3.1

tom141414

tom141414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I read your reply and i was denied acces to the security tab but i am not sure what u mean by "run gpedit.msc"
Can u please explain what gpedit is. Thankyou.

TestyTech

TestyTech

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry about gpedit.msc is the Local Group Policy editor included with Windows XP.

If you go to Start -> Run

and Type gpedit.msc it should launch.

you could also type MMC and work with the raw Microsoft Managment Console but gpedit.msc gets you where you need to be faster.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run >gpedit.msc

TestyTech

TestyTech

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Just as a note if you are unable to launch gpedit.msc it might be permission issues and you will need to log on as Administrator to make changes.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts

Just as a note if you are unable to launch gpedit.msc it might be permission issues and you will need to log on as Administrator to make changes.

This will happen if the computer is XP Pro and you do not have permissions to view it.
In XP Home, you will get a "GPEDIT.MSC cannot be found" error, because GPEDIT is not included in Win XP Home

Edited by rmurphy, 17 October 2005 - 09:03 PM.

tom141414

tom141414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
When i typed gpedit.msc into the run box it said could not be found. I think this could be to do with what rmurphy said about having xp pro. (i have xp home) So is there any way to work around this?

Edited by tom141414, 17 October 2005 - 09:01 PM.

tom141414

tom141414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
If Anybody has any ideas of how to fix this can u PLEASE tell me since my pc wont even let me install flash. This is really starting to bug me now and i want to do everything i can do without having to pay for advice. Thank you.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
I can only think of two other things to try.
1: While still in your account, use the "Run as..." option. Right click on the program you want to use, and select "Run As" a box will pop up, click the bottom radio button, and supply credentials of another administrator account on the computer.

--OR--

2: If you have administrative access to a computer running XP PRO, go to Run, and type in "%systemroot%\system32\" (without the quotes) and copy the file named gpedit.msc to some sort or removable device (usb key, floppy, cd-r...) and copy to the same path on your computer. You may need to transfer some additional files for this to work.

-Ryan

Edited by rmurphy, 19 October 2005 - 07:19 PM.