Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Bootup Hard Drive Integrity Check Failure

• Please log in to reply

RowdyRhodes

RowdyRhodes

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi folks,

Racenutalways referred me over to this area from:

http://www.geekstogo...view=getnewpost

I'm having some grief with my hard drive now.

The short of it is that a week or so ago ZoneAlarm Pro caught Win32.InstantBuzz in my registry and attempted to remove it. Consequently my system did an auto-reboot [something I've never seen ZAP do before after quarantining an item] and then the system went into a WinXP Integrity Check which failed.

I came to G2G, hooked up with Racenutalways and we killed off some malware, as you can see in the above thread.

My problem is that my system, upon re-boot, still goes into the XP Integrity Check and fails. It will reach varying degrees of completion, between 26% and 58%, and while it is testing the hard drive makes an occasional high pitched whining noise the likes I've never heard before in the past 20 odd years of computing.

Bypassing the integrity check allows the system to boot and function, but applications operate extremely slow. No stop errors or BSods though and so far no loss of data or applications as far as I can tell. I have run the Tools, Check Disk, with all applications closed and the hard drive passes the test so I'm confused.

Maybe you folks can help? I work in the writing industry with deadlines and I'm hoping that I won't have to go offline and take my system into the shop to resolve this problem.

In days of old there were hard drive utilities that could be used to check a drive and then any areas found unsound they could be marked off as unusable. I'm not sure how and where to proceed and could use some advice. I have searched this forum for the problem but can't seem to locate anything along these lines.

Racenutalways, by the way, was of great! assistance and you may want to read the thread above to see what sort of system I have, etc. as the details are already posted. Then again, I'm sure you have your own methods of establishing all of that.

Here's hoping you can help.

Bye for now,
Rowdy Rhodes
Site Manager
Freelance Writing Organization - Int'l.
- A Writer's Digest Top 101 Site
- #1 Writing Resource Site - The Writer
http://www.fwointl.com/
Publishers of:
Inkwell Newswatch (IN) -- Writer's Ezine
http://www.fwointl.com/in.html and
Writers Site News! Weekly Emailed Newsletter

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you know the hard disk manufacturer you can download from its internet site a hard disk diagnostic tool. The best would be to create a bootable cd and run a thorouh test of the disk. If you wish that we help you finding the appropriate tool, please write down the make and model of the HD.

RowdyRhodes

RowdyRhodes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Skeptic,

Thanks for the rapid response.

Yes, I could use some assistance. All I can find, other than the words "disk drive", are under disk properties, details: IDE/DISKWDC_WD1200BB-00DAA1

WDC? Western Digital Corp? Model?? I can open the box if need be, but because of the drive stacking in the bays I won't be able to read the sticker details (if there even are any to read) without having to physically pull the drive out.

Is the above is enough to figure out the drive make and model? If not, I'll power down, open it up, pull the drive out and see if there's anything there. If there are additional commands you know of that I can use before doing that to verify the make and model, please let me know what they are so we're sure we're dealing with the correct manufacturer's hardware.

Also, this is probably a pretty dumb question, but how do I make a bootable CD? I have a burner, but don't know the commands to create the bootable files to the hard drive and then burn them to the CD. Any help on that front would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Rowdy

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To create a bootable cd for your computer use this link for Wesrwen Digital diagnostic programs. Double click on Data Lifeguard diagnostic for DOS (CD). Download the file Diag504cCD.iso and burn it to a disk. The easyest way to do this is to download Burncdcc and run it. It does not require installation and was designed specifically to burn ISO files.

Insert the cd into the drive and reboot. Make sure that the cd drive is the first booting device. Run a complete test when the diagnostic program opens. Please report the results.

RowdyRhodes

RowdyRhodes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Skeptic,

Thanks for your information. I have downloaded the files and I'm assuming that the actual drive name and model is a Western Digital WD1200BB 100+ gig H/D also known as the WD Caviar SE - 7200 RPM. Is that my drive?

I have no idea what "Burncdcc" is or where to get it. What do you mean? I did a search on google and found 36,400 entries of Burncdcc. The first four being software available for download from:
http://www.terabyteu.../utilities.html,
http://www.snapfiles...C/BurnCDCC.html,
http://www.free-code...ad/BurnCDCC.htm and
http://burncdcc.en.softonic.com/

Which one should I download?

I have a CD burning utility called Nero StartSmart. Western Digital mentions Nero on their download page. Again I'm assuming that the burner software I currently have will be ok to use but I don't know. Is it?

Also on the Western Digital page is Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows, which I downloaded just in case we need it in the future.

After I burn the CD with the file Diag504cCD.iso and ready it for bootup, you instruct me to "Insert the cd into the drive and reboot. Make sure that the cd drive is the first booting device."

How am I supposed to make the CD Player/Burner the first booting device?
By default the system boots off drive C:\ and does not go to the burner.

It would make it much easier for me if you can give me detailed answers in a step-by-step format so that I can print them off and follow them. I don't like making assumptions about any aspects of this procedure when it comes to my hard drive, system booting ability, and possible data loss.

Please don't make any assumptions about my personal knowledge. To avoid accidental errors think of me as someone who knows absolutely nothing about what it is that we will be doing here and how we're going to go about doing it. Filling me in on the details would be greatly appreciated

For now all I know for sure is that I have downloaded the above software, will install it, learn it, and if need be use Nero to burn ISO file(s) to a CD, then await your instructions on how to make the system boot off the CD player.

Also, please let me know if it is better to burn the CD with Burncdcc and which Burncdcc above I should download. I will make a different CD using that utility if it is a better way of resolving this problem.

Bye for now,
Rowdy

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Nero software will allow burning as an ISO image. It is perfectly fine to use. The key is to burn as an ISO. NOT to copy. This allows you to boot from the CD.
So if you have Nero, then you won't need anything else. It was given in case you didn't have anything.

To boot from CD, you must change the boot sequence in your BIOS (basic input output). As you boot the comp up, usually in the lower left corner of the display it will tell you the key to use. It is usually F1, esc, del, F2, F10 (all depending on the system).

Start tapping the appropriate key to enter BIOS.
Once in the bios, look for "boot order" (usually in advanced". Then cahange the boot order. Remember to save the settings (usually F10).
Exit to get a reboot. At this time you should have the WD ISO CD in the drive.

Basic keys used to enter bios

RowdyRhodes

RowdyRhodes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Skeptic, Thanks 123Runner,

I did as explained and burnt the .iso file to the CD.
Booted from the CD [I didn't realize that my system goes there first and looks for the boot so I didn't have to make changes to my bios - at least I don't believe I have to] but upon booting from the CD I received the following displayed on screen:

----------------------
Unable to locate license agreement file DLGLICE.TXT
Please make sure license agreement file is located in the same path as DLGDIAG.EXE
----------------------

On the CD are the following files:

DLGDIAG5.EXE
Dlgdiag.txt
DLGLICE.TXT
IBMBIO.COM
IBMDOS.COM

After that the system tries to boot from the floppy and obviously failed so I powered down and brought it back up, skipped the XP integrity test and sent this email.

As you can see the license agreement file DLGLICE.TXT is there.

I'm at a loss and sure would like to sue the pants off of InstantBuzz at the moment.
Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

What next?

Bye for now,
Rowdy

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Do you have a floppy? You mentioned it tried to boot from floppy. Download the test file for a floppy or try the CD again. Maybe the CD got corrupted.

RowdyRhodes

RowdyRhodes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi 123Runner,

It would appear I'm lucky on the software front and not so on the hardware.
No go with either the CD or floppy. Even made another CD. Same as before about the license stuff.

Tried to use the floppy and install DlgDiagv504f.exe. The software ran, but I think the floppy drive's toast. Either that or all 10 diskettes are (the disks are rather old).

Switching back to the first CD and trying the boot again I did see something flash by that said "Starting Caldera DR-DOS" - I think that's what it said, but again it failed - no license found.

I don't suppose WinDLG.zip from Western Digital, which appears to be the Windows version of the same testing software would be of any use? Or maybe trying to go to Microsoft to see if there are any O/S upgrades or patches I'm missing causing the problem? What about device manager, troubleshooting disk drives? Any use in trying there?

Of course I'm just guessing here. I won't do anything on my own to the system at this point.

The computer still boots, XP tries to do its check, I abort it and when I finally do get to the desktop most everything runs slow. In other words no progress as of yet on this end.

Anything else you can suggest, I'm willing to give it a shot. All of the re-booting and skipping over the hard drive tests are a concern, but what can I do? The real killer is the workload piling up here. I know hardware testing and support is very difficult to do via posts, but I figure : Gotta try! {smile}

Bye for now,
Rowdy

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you tried to manually do the disk check by following the instructions found HERE?

RowdyRhodes

RowdyRhodes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes. I have run the Tools, Check Disk, with all applications closed and the hard drive passes the test.

RowdyRhodes

RowdyRhodes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Just wanted to let you know that this problem has been resolved elsewhere so you can close this thread.
Thanks anyway for trying.
Take care,
Rowdy Rhodes
Site Director
Freelance Writing Organization - Int'l.
http://www.fwointl.com/
- A Writer's Digest Top 101 Site
- #1 Writing Resource Site - The Writer
Publishers of:
Inkwell Newswatch (IN) and Writers Site News! (WSN)

Chris DeForest

Chris DeForest

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Can you point me in the direction of this fix. I am running into simular issues on a new board and getting frustrated.

New M/B and Memory. I can get windows to load from CD but after format and install, I reboot only to get no boot device. so I am trying to run diag on hard drive and ran into this issue. I have already tested mem to verify no issue ther using memtest 86 v 3.4 and I am at a loss. Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks
Chris

Mgentry

Mgentry

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I know this is an older thread but it has become an issue for me as well and I would like to know where the continued thread is so that I could read it and see if it will also resolve my problem.

Thanks,

Michelle

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Mgentry

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.