Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home issues

• Please log in to reply

mikell808

mikell808

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Can't get the system online, network adapters and divice manager don't populate. The option to uninstall SP3 isn't there. In the event viewer I have no access to anything I get an error message saying " the interface is unknown " I have run CHKDSK /r, currently running AVG in safe mode. I can't download anything but am going to try to find out how to installed Avast updates using file downloads on a thumb drive. My friend claims someone played around with it tyring to speed things up and the problem began after that. He messed around the MSCONFIG was my guess. Ok looking for any suggestions. THanks.

Based on research on I am also running SFC /Scannow. Someone else reported a similar problem and described a solution involving the registry and permissions.

Edited by mikell808, 22 August 2009 - 04:41 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try system restore?

mikell808

mikell808

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Did you try system restore?

Yes, sorry forgot to mention that. First thing I did. Only had today and yesterday as options, did yesterday. If it was a virus it either deleted all the restore files or just the links in the restore option. By the way also tried to access the files manually and I am blocked from opening the folder to the System Volume Information. Starting to sound more and more like a virus

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, let's eliminate this possibility...

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

mikell808

mikell808

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I was thinking about running that route my challange is the computer cannot connect online so I will have to figure out ways to get some of the malware, spyware and anti virus programs updated. Also forgot to mention that about 80 of the services are disabled and I don't have the option to start them. I am thinking that the services being shut down is what is causing all of my issues. Anyway to get these started?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suggest, you go to malware section, and those guys will help you out.

mikell808

mikell808

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I have started that topic as you suggested and while that is going I am really thinking, based on the symptoms, that this makes more sense to be a configuration issue. What purpose would it serve to a virus to kill all the network connections, if it does that it can't spread itself, which is the basic definition of a virus. Not to mention the idea of spyware/malware doing the samething would defeat their own purpose. I was doing some reading and some guy refered to making changes to his registry and to his permissions which solved it. By the way finished running SFC with no luck. Also ran CHKDSK /R from the Startup disc with no luck. Managed to get AVAST loaded and updated using CD.

New information: USB ports are currently also usless.

Edited by mikell808, 23 August 2009 - 06:54 AM.

mikell808

mikell808

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
After doing some more reading I found a forum that described the Plug and Play service needs to be running for the Device manager window to populate. As I mentioned earlier that 80% of the services were disabled. So it looks like his friends idea of speeding things up was to disable a large amount of services. I have solved the problem and hope this helps someone with a similar issue. I went thru and compared line for line of the services with my own computer and have no solved all of the issues.