Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Logging Off Automatically - Not Recovering - No Safe Mode!

• Please log in to reply

Puntosaurus

Puntosaurus

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi all. I would appreciate some expert input before I go completely insane please!

I have been having a spot of bother with the laptop.

1. About a week ago, working fine. Switched it on, a little dialogue box appears telling me userinit.exe failed to initialise. Then the desktop comes up; no icons, no taskbar. Restored to an earlier configuration, but even though it appeared to work fine, it became unstable insomuch that the laptop randomly closed itself & it was hit-and-miss if I received the user.init error message.

2. Managed to work with it in this unstable state for a week, although I did notice that throughout the week, programmes steadily went down & refused to work. Like a gradual deterioration of the system.
Yesterday, did a scan using Kaspersky, SBS&D, Reg Mechanic. Revealed nothing, but did delete/quarantine some entries.

3. Today, boots up, but then automatically closes itself.
Cannot recover, will not even boot in safe mode nor 'Last known good config' - both result in same as above, closes itself automatically upon briefly showing the desktop.
By the way, I am the only user, so I cannot even attempt to log on through someone else's account.

I do not have an XP disc, but the laptop came pre-installed, so all I have is a recovery cd & an official MS Key.
Thing is, the recovery cd will not boot either! It boots so far as to give me the option of starting recovery, I choose to restore to factory settings, it tantilises me by saying it is starting the recovery process, BUT THEN the screen goes black, all indications of the computer working go quiet. Nothing. Dead.

4. Booted up recovery console with idea of doing chkdsk - downloaded a boot cd by Dean Adams "Recovery console for those without an Xp disc" through this link.

5. Run a chkdsk C: /r through recovery console - tells me it has corrected some issues, but nothing has changed upon restart.

Bit of a loose end now.

Luckily, I have all my files backed up externally, so data recovery is not a priority. I just would like to be able to start over again.

I would really appreciate some assistance please. I'm on the verge of throwing it out of the window, but I don't want to be defeated by a piece of machinery!!!!!

Many thanks.

Advertisements

need taking care of

need taking care of

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
so are you saying that your computer will just randomly shut down at the most random of times and you cant recover the lost data?

have u tried booting in safe mode, that or... it is a hard ware problem which i cannot not solve unfournatly or... its not windows shutting down, it could be a virus of some sort, other than that restart windows, fixes everything lol =]
i will also look some info up and try and solve it, anyway thats from me for now

good luck :)

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Puntosaurus

Welcome to geeks to go.

Does the system restart after you press ok? Try pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL tell me if the Task Manager window comes up.

Puntosaurus

Puntosaurus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello. Thanks for stopping by to assist!

Ok, windows briefly runs - I'm told it's loading my settings, show the dektop for a few seconds (no icons/no taskbar), and then the dialogue box changes to say it is logging off. Safe Mode & Last Good Config have the same results. I'm returned to the user log on screen. Incidentally, I'm the only user so I can't even try logging on through another account.

As I said, it's been a kind of gradual decline over the week. When I could get the desktop up, sometimes pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del resulted in an error message from Windows saying it was shutting it down. Now, I can't even get to the stage of pressing that combo!

Somebody did suggest running a HJT scan, but how can I possibly do that if I cannot log on?

Thank you.

Edited by Puntosaurus, 15 October 2007 - 02:56 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Puntosaurus,

In those few seconds can you press CTRL+ALT+DEL and have the Task Manager come up? If so click on File click on Newtask type in shutdown -a and press enter.

Puntosaurus

Puntosaurus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just tried it again, and no. Pressing them has no effect.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Puntosaurus,

We might be doing a Repair installation. Let me do a little bit of research and I will get back to you.

Puntosaurus

Puntosaurus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, many thanks for sticking with it! Much appreciated. If you have another look at my original post, you'll see I said I don't have an XP cd only a recovery cd which doesn't appear to want to boot even after entering BIOS and changing CD drive to boot first. I can boot up recovery console though, but I don't have much experience with that! Just for your info....

Cheers.

Edited by Puntosaurus, 15 October 2007 - 03:05 AM.

Puntosaurus

Puntosaurus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, just to complicate things a little further....

I booted up the faulty laptop again today, to be greeted (for the first time) with a C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt error message. I have never had this displayed before whilst all these problems have been occurring.

But, the solution is well documented.

But, when I eneter recovery console, the only option I'm given to log onto is either C:\MiniNT or D:\Windows. Yesterday, I was getting C:\ Windows.

Any further pointers?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello puntosaurus,

Try C:\windows See where it takes you.

Puntosaurus

Puntosaurus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
C:\Windows gives me "...the command is not recognized!!"

I don't really understand, because yesterday I was given the option of logging on to c:\windows. I'm still getting to grips with recovery console & it's commands.
However, if I type c:, the prompt changes to c:\> Is this the same? I suspect not.

I can only really access recovery console, so are there any things I can attempt through this?

Edited by Puntosaurus, 16 October 2007 - 03:02 PM.

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
few questions have u tried start>run>shutdown -a ..... to stop the pc from shutting down? or does it seem to be more like a loss of power from the psu?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

Is this the same? I suspect not.

No however cd c:\windows would be.

cd: is the command to change the drive.
If you are able to get into the recovery console then you can repair the c:\window\system32\config\system missiong or currupt by using the following link found in my Knowledge Base.

http://repair.tuxmas...org/kb/entry/1/

warrendubz

warrendubz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The minint might be a recovery partition that is the way it is setup on my HP laptop. the recovery partition should be in FAT32 and inaccessable though XP unless you have the option to view system files enabled in the folder options.So in order to boot to that partition you are going to have to run a third party boot loader.

HIREN's boot disk has done wounders for me.