Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Not Automatically assigning drive letter to USB flash drives

• Please log in to reply

bikoljoe

bikoljoe

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I had a problem, maybe a virus, and I had to repair my XP Home Edition on my HP laptop. Then I downloaded all the Windows updates from Microsoft. Everything appears to be Ok, except when I plug any flash drive type of device (drive, camera, cellphone) into my USB port. For example, when I plugged in my flash drive, windows recognized it and installed it. Device manager shows it in the USB devices and lists it as a disk drive. The only way I can access it is to go to Computer Management, Disk Management. The drive shows up with no letter. I can select a letter and then access it by through Open on Disk Management (it does not show up in "My Computer.") When I transfer any files to it, I am told that it only supports short names (8 letters.) When I remove the flash disk and plug it in again, I have to go through the same process. If I have not shut down in between, it wants a different drive letter. I know the USB is ok as when I plug in my remote hard drive it recognizes is normally.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Do you have any network drives mapped right behind your existing CD or DVD?, (ie: if CD drive is drive F, network map using drive G). In my experience, if a network mapped drive is directly next to the last physical drive on a system, the USB disk will not automatically be assigned a drive letter. Remap the network drive to further down the alphabet and then the USB works ok...

Hope this helps..

malabogjoe

malabogjoe

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Howszit?

Do you have any network drives mapped right behind your existing CD or DVD?, (ie: if CD drive is drive F, network map using drive G). In my experience, if a network mapped drive is directly next to the last physical drive on a system, the USB disk will not automatically be assigned a drive letter. Remap the network drive to further down the alphabet and then the USB works ok...

Hope this helps..

Yep, that was the problem. After further research I found that DAEMON after had been installed and then uninstalled, it had left some files that caused the problem. Thanks for your help!