Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP OEM number?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
ok i have a laptop. but we have lost the stupid number (it got rubbed off from use!) How can I find out what the number is from software, so that I can use my other XP CD and just put in a new number?

also the last 2 times I formatted with this CD, it didnt ask for a number, is there a way to change the number, or force it to ask for a number???

I think those are easy questions for you guys... lets see if you can help me :)

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Edited to remove possible dangerous link.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
OK, Now I have the number....

is there a way to load XP with my CD and then change the number to another numbeR?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi there LiaoGoren

The only way you can change your key is to buy another licence either from microsoft or a retailer, once xp is installed you cannot change your key.

I hope this helps

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The only legal way to do what you want to do is to purchase a new license or purchase a new operating system WITH a license.

OEM licenses are tied directly to the machine they were originally installed on and are not transferable. Doing it as you are trying to do it is considered piracy and is considered illegal.

Topic Closed.