Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP crashing, icons & files missing, chkdisk error!

• Please log in to reply

oviedo7

oviedo7

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Hello,

This other day my computer crashed and rebooted while I was surfing the net. When Windows was back on, it gave me this message: "One of the files containing the systems data in the registry, had to be restored from a log or a copy. The restoration was completed" (Please note it might in fact have been a slighty different message, as I'm translating it from danish to english - but I think it's pretty close).

Ok well... I recently run a couple of disc-defragmenting because it had been negleted for a while, Also about a week ago I was helping my cousin finding some basketball pictures through google for school work. Some of the links for the pictures instead ended up showing hose annoying pop-ups about "Oh darn... You have like a bazillion malware files - Click "Ok" to abort this very effective scan. or "cancel" to continue etc.". Well later that day I ran every Antivirus, Antimalware etc. I had: Spybot, Ad-aware, eTrust, Spywareblaster, Malwarebytes and Spyhunter... The 2 latter I just installed, suspecting my normal programs weren't doing the trick. Spyhunter found a number of "issues" in the registry - "hkey_users\default\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internet settings\zonemaps\escdomains"... Surfing a bit around on the web and in the registry it seemed it was something created by Spybot. I deleted Spyhunter and ignored the "issues". I was going a bit through the registry but I didn't change or delete anything. But now seemingly I'm having problems with the registry?

Anyway the computer was running normal, until yesterday when it rebooted once again. It started as it should, but shortly hereafter it did the trick again. Now it wasn't just a once-of thing. This time - it went through the chkdisk thing and there were a whole bunch of problems. It kept freezing up through the chkdisk session. Sometimes in the first step, sometimes in the second step and so on. After a bunch of tries it finally went through to the third step where it had a lot of fixing to do? - It gave a lot of commands like (I'll post some of the commands and so I remember mentioned at the process) - "replacing and deleting misplaced filestrings, 2cfl.tmp, indeks $I30 to the file 72, PEB097~1.DAT, APPLIC~~1, Free space allocated as used space (I think it was used), Deleting the broken attributal post (128, "") from filepostsegment 8737, 8687, 8448, Altering short-chained attributal posts. And a whole lot more - again thing are translated, and I must excuse my vague memory of the exact commands.

Anyway, the computer booted again and was running smootly. I was now trying to find a bit of info on the previous developments, when it crashed again. This time it booted again, but now things was not running smootly!

On my desktop I now suddently had a Internet Explorer icon, Networkplaces icon and my recycle bin and my "My documents folder" was gone. My start menu was almost empty in the left pile, and my "All programs" folder was almost empty! - Notable my etrust folder was gone, no files in the "Games" folder - basically a lot of empty or missing folders. My "Accessory" folder was missing a lot too, no "Recovery" and so on. Also the look of my "My computer" was altered. I now saw that a lot of the programs missing in the "Start menu" was indeed present on the "C:-drive"... I have never seen anything like this before!?

Also, my computer won't start Internet Explorer no more and it's basically running unstable. It crashes continually now - during Ad-aware scans, when trying to start IE and when I start to start my eTrust is says something like "More space available" (or something(?)). Sometimes after a crash and reboot or when I try logging off and on is says "The system was restored after a serious error" stating 2 errors: in my "...Temp\WEReOd3.dir00\Mini121709-01.dmp" and "...sysdata.xml".

I have never tried anything like this before and every try as fixing anything or finding the right information has so far been to no avail.

Does anybody have any input or a tip for a solution? It would be very much appreciated.

Thank you, and please excuse me my long thread.

- Oviedo

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
removed clean log

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first edit your last post and remove the HijackThis log...those are only to be posted in the malware forum...
next run chkdsk /r until it no longer has to fix any errors..

then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here